Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got my T2 rods back today with new ARP bolts installed, resized, shotpeened, and decided to static balance them. I used a digital gram scale that I have used in the past to balance and match my daughter's tennis raquets. It is only accurate to within one gram (I would have liked 1/10th gram) but I found that my rods varied more than I expected. My lightest was 699g and the heaviest was 708g. The oddest part of all was that the lightest rod had the heaviest small end! So I had to remove almost all of the balance pad at the top of that rod to match it to the others (even had to re-countersink the pin oil hole a bit). Anyway, after a couple of hours I got them matched at 698g each with a variance at the small end of one gram (within the limitations of my scale of course), Not perfect but much closer than they were. I can even up the variance at the small end when the pistons get here and I match them and the rods as assemblies. :D

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I didn't get any torque specs with the ARP rod bolts. What is the torque for ARP bolts? Same as stock? I have the ARP lubricant for them, so does that change the torque? :confused:

·
Registered
236 Posts
John B said:
I didn't get any torque specs with the ARP rod bolts. What is the torque for ARP bolts? Same as stock? I have the ARP lubricant for them, so does that change the torque? :confused:
Line 6 on my installation sheet:

If you do not have a stretch gauge, follow these steps using the ARP Moly Assembly Lube. After rods are installed into the motor, torque bolts to 50 ft lbs. Loosen the nuts. Torque to 50 ft lbs again. Loosen the nuts and torque to 50 ft lbs a third and final time.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks! :)

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
87DANCEonYOU said:
Well with these 4cyl there really NOT needed....im sure it cant hurt...but its not a necessity
I still don't understand why people say that. The less cylinders you have, the more vibration etc exists, hence why V12's run like butter. Everything we can do to smooth these suckers out helps, as in balancing will help them live longer, reduce bearing wear, and the most important one, keep us sane from the NVH, :D

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I agree completely Simon; while it's true that an INLINE four cannot be perfectly balanced (an opposed four like an aircooled VW beetle can be), simply match weighting the rotating components will be a big step in the right direction. You can even intentionaly make it more out of balance if you like :rolleyes:

·
Registered
203 Posts
hey, I totaly agree too can only be a benifit, but I was wondering if yo-u guys can tell me more abo-ut balancing I want to balance the motor i am going to be building, what kinda things can be balanced and how would I go about it myself

·
Registered
632 Posts
Weigh each rod and piston, make them equal. Thats about all you need to do

·
Registered
32 Posts
Too late for the original poster, but it's really a good idea to hold off balancing individual parts until you've got all the parts needed to build each assembly.
You can save yourself a lot of work by mixing & matching pistons, pins, & rods to get close to equal weights on the assemblies this way..(heavy pin w/light piston..heavy piston/pin on rod w/light little end, etc..)

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good idea! Now, if I EVER get my pistons... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
Tim_K said:
Why would a tennis racket / raquet / whatever need to be balanced at all, much less to a 1 gram range?

Where not talking tennis raquets, were talking heavy parts that spin at 6000 rpm. What happens when your wheel is out of balance, were talking ounces on the wheel, you get the picture!

ZRX Doug said:
Too late for the original poster, but it's really a good idea to hold off balancing individual parts until you've got all the parts needed to build each assembly.
You can save yourself a lot of work by mixing & matching pistons, pins, & rods to get close to equal weights on the assemblies this way..(heavy pin w/light piston..heavy piston/pin on rod w/light little end, etc..)

I completely agree with you but when you buy forged, I guess depending on the manufacterer, there damn near equal, I bought JE's and they were almost all identical, ditto with the pins. My rods were way out, they were really bad and my crank wasn't bad at all but hey, for a $100, its worth it! :D

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tim_K said:
Why would a tennis racket / raquet / whatever need to be balanced at all, much less to a 1 gram range?
Some top players think it helps if you have three or four rackets to even up the weight and the balance point (head light/heavy). I string her racquets and set up the balance; she does the rest! :p

·
Registered
210 Posts
Golf clubs too - they call it "swing weight."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts