Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the effects of not running a baro read solenoid at all? I just had the vacuum hooked up directly to the MAP, just as my TBI did. :bang head

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
The computer uses the solenoid to let the MAP sensor see outside air pressure occasionally. It uses this as a baseline for boost control and a number of other variables. It may also cause a code 13 in some cases. It's best to leave it in there, the car will run better.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it wouldn't cause the car to run completely irradically then? I guess on to the next issue :bang head

But I'm not getting the code 37, I'm getting the 61 :confused:

Thanks a lot guys

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Code 61 means the same thing as code 37 on the early turbo cars, open or shorted Baro solenoid.

I'm not sure what you define as completely erratically, but it certainly won't run good without the baro solenoid in place. The computer in your car has no way to reference the atmospheric pressure now, and that's something it looks for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Code 61 means the same thing as code 37 on the early turbo cars, open or shorted Baro solenoid.

I'm not sure what you define as completely erratically, but it certainly won't run good without the baro solenoid in place. The computer in your car has no way to reference the atmospheric pressure now, and that's something it looks for.
any one know where i can find a baro solenoid?

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
Do you still have the baro solenoid connected from the ECU.

·
Premium Member
10,179 Posts
The baro solenoid is the same solenoid as the others atached to the passenger fenderwell (or in some cases, on the front radiator support). Just pull the connector from one solenoid, and hook it into an unused one (perhaps the purge solenoid) and swap the lines the way they were originally orientated on the old baro solenoid.

Just remember that if you pull a solenoid from the fenderwell, replace it with the one you swapped out (even if it doesn't work correctly/all the time) other wise it will always throw a code, and turn your CEL light on.

·
Administrator
25,144 Posts
The Baro Solenoid is used on turbo cars to allow the controller to update barometric pressure info while driving for more precise fuel/spark advance control.
The fuel control system on our cars is a "speed density" system using a Map Sensor.
MAP(Manifold Absolute Pressure) is the difference between manifold pressure and atmospheric pressure.
On all cars the baro info is read thru the MAP with the initial key on.
On the N/A cars baro info is not updated until the engine is shut off and the key is turned back on.
With a turbo it needs to be updated more frequently so you do not go lean or rich which may damage the engine under boost or cause poor performance issues.

Under no load, steady throttle conditions at pre-retermined intervals(in the controllers programming) the controller will close the vacuum/pressure port to the Map Sensor and open the Vent on the solenoid to vent any vacuum in the lines, now the Map is only reading atmospheric pressure.
With the pressure updated the controller will then close the vent and allow vacuum/pressure back to the Map again reading MAP.

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
Was you able to correct the problem with the baro solenoid? If not Friday I will be going to a junk yard and wanted to know if you want me to pic you up one.

Dennis

1 - 10 of 10 Posts