Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1985 glh-t omni, and the battery is not charging. I had the alternator tested and it is good. Then I had the voltage regulator tested and it was bad so I bought a new one and the guy even tested it to make sure it was ok. I got home hooked everything up and my battery is still draining. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 89 Spirit ES, 96 Jeep XJ
5,935 Posts
What makes you think the alternator isn't charging? Is it losing power as it runs? Just need to know what steps you've been through to diagnose this so far.

First thing to do is check the obvious points. Make sure your ground straps are connected correctly. Also make sure your wires to the alternator are secured well. You could have a broken wire somewhere. If the obvious things check out and you're absolutely sure the alternator and regulator are fine, get a wiring diagram and start testing wires. Are you getting any codes (16 for example indicates a no-charge condition). I don't know much about the 85 electronics, but I know the voltage regulator is in the SMEC on 88-89 cars. I thought on the older cars it was in the logic module. I know my 87 LeBaron had an overcharge condition from a bad LM.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I have a 1985 glh-t omni, and the battery is not charging. I had the alternator tested and it is good. Then I had the voltage regulator tested and it was bad so I bought a new one and the guy even tested it to make sure it was ok. I got home hooked everything up and my battery is still draining. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Correct me if I'm wrong but from what you said about getting the regulator checked your car uses a carb? If it is you do have an external regulator set up correct?

If so the diagnoises should not be hard. I can walk you through it after you say if it is carbed or what. Also what voltage are you reading at the battery with the engine running.
Tim

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car is fuel injection its a T1 car. It does have an external volatage regulator. I check power at the battery while the engine was running and the battery was slowly draining. The alternator, battery, and voltage regulator have all been tested and the all checked out good. Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also I am not getting any codes. I checked the output at the alternator with a dvom, and it is really high something like 35volts. But it apppears as though none of that is reaching the battery. I took pictures of all of the wires before I removed anything, and it appears as though everything is hooked up correctly.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Also I am not getting any codes. I checked the output at the alternator with a dvom, and it is really high something like 35volts. But it apppears as though none of that is reaching the battery. I took pictures of all of the wires before I removed anything, and it appears as though everything is hooked up correctly.
What you just wrote here is the key to your problem. Recheck the power to your alternator with the engine off. It should read battery voltage. I bet you will read nothing. The battery cable from the alternator to battery is open. I believe there should be a fuse link inline near the battery. Follow the alternator harness back to the battery.
Tim

·
Administrator
24,835 Posts
Start by checking static voltage at the battery, minimum 12 volts and then start the vehicle,battery voltage should not drop below 9.6 volts during start then voltage should increase about 1.5 volts over battery voltage(min of 13.5 volts)
You have to start with basics which in this case is the battery,if the battery is faulty or not fully charged the system will not function properly.Also be sure battery terminal ends and posts are clean of corrosion and cables are tight and clean at thier grounding points.
Also be sure the belt is tensioned properly.
Fault codes for an 85 Turbo are :
16, Loss of battery voltage sense
41, Charging system (Excess or no field current)
44, Battery temp out of range
46, Battery voltage too high
47, Battery voltage too low.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot to post up that got it fixed. After all of that the new voltage regulator I bought was bad thanks autozone! Built to last my ass haha. I got another and all is well.

·
Administrator
24,835 Posts
Glad to hear all is well.
Here is how I look at it, if it is built by man it will break.
Just because it is new does not mean it will work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts