Turbo Dodge Forums banner

BCM woes

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  NAJ 
#1 ·
After hours of reading many posts here,
I seem to have painted myself in to a corner on this project. :bang head

95' lebaron convert was 3.0 v6 auto.
Transplanted 89' 2.2 T2 with getrag 5 speed along with engine box harness ECM etc. Running ok. Cant get any output to the analyser from the ECM though. :shrug:

The major challenge is the BCM. I now have no wiper delay, cruise ctl, auto-lock, delay wipers, dash lights, tail lights, and few other related cabin systems.

Is there a way to trick the 95' BCM into talking to the 89' ECM or at least get the BCM to enable the basic systems without ECM input?

Any help would be soooo much appreciated.

#2 ·
The problem you have run into is that the '89 SMEC computer does not have a CCD bus output (or B+ and B- pins.)

Hopefully, for your sake, maybe someone has a workaround for this but the only possible options I see are the following.

1) Somehow upgrade to a 92+ Turbo SBEC based ECM, that way there it will communicate with your BCM.

2) Eliminate the BCM system by adding a wiper delay module and whatever systems the BCM replaces.

#3 · (Edited)
I would like to eventually do the digital dash swap, so upgrading the ECM makes sense.
This poses 3 more questions:

1. Which BCM from 92-93 is most like the 95 that's already there?

2. Would the 92-93 ECM work with the rest of the 89 controls/wiring under the hood?

3. Does someone here have said parts for sale? :)

#5 · (Edited)
Some information, since you want to do a digital dash swap. Remember that there are two versions of the CCD bus (the networking protocol that describes the information transmitted over the B+ and B- wires), the CCD1 and the CCD2. The CCD1 existed from 1990-1991 and the CCD2 existed from 1992+. Because you have a BCM that requires a CCD2 signal, then you need an ECM that outputs a CCD2 signal. That would be a 92+ SBEC type computer. What you have now is a SMEC type computer. The difference between the two is that the SBEC has a single 60 way connector, and the SMEC has a 60 and 14 way connector.

Also if you want to do a digital dash swap you'd need the "premium" version of the BCM so it can talk to the dashboard properly.

So what I would do is the following:
1) See if you can essential upgrade your wiring from the 60+14 connector, to a single 60 way connector to facilitate using a SBEC computer. Here are some good links on the topic:
The 1988 - 1989 Turbo II SMEC - MiniMopar Resources
The 1988 - 1989 TBI SMEC - MiniMopar Resources

2) After upgrading your wiring (if it's even possible that is) obtain a ECU and BCM from the 92+ era (preferably one from the same model year) and see if they communicate together to allow you the use of your power locks, wipers, etc.

So to answer your questions:

1) Any 92+ BCM is probably going to work with the 95 electronics that you have.
2) Will the ECM work, well the short answer is I don't know. I think by 1992 there was no intercooled cars (correct me if I'm wrong) so I don't know if the computer will know what to do with your Charge Air Temperature Sensor. If anything, you may need one of the vendors to program you a custom ECU.
3) One thing you may have a problem finding is the Premium BCM, which is only needed if you want a digital dash, otherwise the Base BCM is sufficient. That and the digital dash is mildly rare. But heck, if I found one, I think you can find one.

#6 ·
You know, after thinking about it some, a 1990-1991 ECM in conjunction with a 1990-1991 BCM can also probably work in your car as long as they are used in conjunction.

I don't know the details if they can, because when I swapped the dash in my Daytona I kept it in the same era (1990-1991), I didn't look to getting the 1992+ era electronics, but I think that the key is to making sure you are only using either CCD1 or CCD2 electronics.

#8 ·
I am seeing a lot more 90-91 CCD1 SBEC / BCM / Digi dash parts out there than the 92-93.

The big question I am now faced with is will a 90-91 2.2 T2 manual SBEC work with a 90-91 Digi dash and BCM that came from an automatic car?

Seems that most of the digi dash setups in those years were 2.5 T1 Automatics.

-OR-

Is there a mod needed to use a automatic SBEC in a manual car?

:confused:

Please Help if you have any good info on this

#10 · (Edited)
@NAJ:
Ok so no T2 post 89'.

This is the setup I have so far, and what I am trying to put together:

95' lebaron convert was 3.0 v6 auto.
Transplanted 89' 2.2 T2 with getrag 5 speed along with engine box harness ECM etc.
Running ok. Cant get any output to the analyzer from the ECM though

Want to end up with digital dash/bcm from 90-91 (easier to find)

What ECM will work with the 89 2.2 T2 & 5 speed, and the 90-91 digi dash CCD1?
Will I need to change the engine sensors as well for that ECM?

#11 ·
I do not know which/if any of the 90 + controllers will work on the 89 T-2, someone with more knowledge of this will have to chime in.
All there was from 90/up is....
2.5L T-1 non-intercooled, 2.2L intercooled VNT and 2.2L intercooled T-3(16 valve DOHC)

The VNT(90 only) would probably be the closest as far as Fuel/Spark Advance Curves but the turbo controls are completly different.
Also anything 90/up uses a SBEC while your 89 uses a SMEC so the wiring is completly different.

Try contacting Cindy at FWD Perfromance, maybe she can help you out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.