1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
8,971 Posts
well there are several options - mainly it depends on if you want low-$ or high-$

I went low-$ = junkyard 3.3/3.8 springs, junkyard 3100 retainers, junkyard PT lifters..

you can buy aftermarket equivalents, Ti retainers, etc

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love budget options, but for stuff like this I much prefer to go with new. So I'm assuming that these are the correct ones. I'm planning to do a stage 5 cal and dont want to have valve float.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like I found what I was looking for in a thread looks like I need this setup.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Hold on there partner. The Comp Cams valve locks you listed are described as "for LS engines only", which would mean they're beadlock valve locks. You need square groove bead lock not radius or beadlock. YOU CAN'T INTERCHANGE THEM! Sometimes the way they're listed in the catalog, they're not very descriptive. Sometimes you need to read between the lines.

Don't think you're gonna find any 8mm stem square groove 7° valve locks. Many have looked, including me. About the closest thing you're gonna find is in 5/16" diameter valve locks. 5/16" is a couple/three thousandths smaller diameter. So there lies the issue running these springs with valves running square groove machining. There is a mismatch. Chrysler uses 8° retainers and keepers, while the LS retainers are 7°. Many run them that way, but it isn't a perfect fit. Read "use at your own risk"...

What I have found is machined valve locks, as opposed to stamped valve locks in 5/16" size, don't fit the valve very well. I actually like the fit of stamped 5/16" locks better than machined locks on 8mm valves. The aftermarket does make a Super 7° valve lock, which is supposedly actually 8°. Haven't tried any of those yet. Confusing huh?

In a perfect situation, you would have custom made valves machined with a beadlock valve lock groove, and not a square cut groove. That way you could run LS beadlock locks, retainers, and springs. All perfectly matched. Goes together like peas and carrots (hehe).

So, you need to choose your poison, run a 8° valve lock in a 7° retainer, or run a 7° 5/16" valve lock in a 7° LS retainer.

If your running stock valves with multi groove exhaust locks, you're gonna have to use the 8° Mopar locks running in 7° retainers. Many aftermarket valves made for our engines, (not all) use a single groove exhaust valve and not a multi groove lock like Mopar uses.

BTW- the springs and the retainers are the correct part #'s for running together.

Clear as mud now right? :p PM me if you need more info.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Don't think you're gonna find any 8mm stem square groove 7° valve locks. Many have looked, including me. About the closest thing you're gonna find is in 5/16" diameter valve locks. 5/16" is a couple/three thousandths smaller diameter. So there lies the issue running these springs with valves running square groove machining. There is a mismatch. Chrysler uses 8° retainers and keepers, while the LS retainers are 7°. Many run them that way, but it isn't a perfect fit. Read "use at your own risk"...

What I have found is machined valve locks, as opposed to stamped valve locks in 5/16" size, don't fit the valve very well. I actually like the fit of stamped 5/16" locks better than machined locks on 8mm valves. The aftermarket does make a Super 7° valve lock, which is supposedly actually 8°. Haven't tried any of those yet. Confusing huh?

In a perfect situation, you would have custom made valves machined with a beadlock valve lock groove, and not a square cut groove. That way you could run LS beadlock locks, retainers, and springs. All perfectly matched. Goes together like peas and carrots (hehe).

So, you need to choose your poison, run a 8° valve lock in a 7° retainer, or run a 7° 5/16" valve lock in a 7° LS retainer.

If your running stock valves with multi groove exhaust locks, you're gonna have to use the 8° Mopar locks running in 7° retainers. Many aftermarket valves made for our engines, (not all) use a single groove exhaust valve and not a multi groove lock like Mopar uses.
For those looking at this in the future, the Manley stamped 5/16" 7° valve locks # 13238-16 fit really nice on LS or 774 Comp cam conical retainer. IMO, fit better than running 8° Chrysler locks on a 7° retainer. I haven't tried the Howard Cams stamped locks # 93020 yet, but suspect they will fit good too. I wouldn't run machined 5/16" valve locks on a 8mm valve like what we use for our engines. They just don't fit very good.

·
Premium Member
8,971 Posts
if you want new you can get new NOS / OE or equivalent ?

I guess it's difficult for me to justify spending way more on 'aftermarket' bits unless there is way more performance or quality etc.. .. to be had over the OE equivalent..
eg last I checked the 3100 retainers were ~$2.50 at the GM dealer (and you only need 8 ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts