Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering if you can remove and switch around bell housings between different transmissions, like auto and 5speed, or 4cyl auto bell on a v6 manual bell ect... also I did a bit of looking around for some of the companys that made the transmissions from anything from the mid 80's to the early 00's...
If anyone could just point me in the right direction that would be cool.

thanks
Dustin

·
Registered
141 Posts
The bellhousings on Chrysler FWD do not come off. In fact, very few if any transmissions have removable bellhousings. The Ford C4, and a couple Asian-Warner are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. None of those are FWD transaxles though.

What are you trying to do anyway?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the guts in my tranny are making funny noises, and i got offered an identical replacement but the bell got broke somehow, and the tranny worked before, its just not something i can bolt up cause the starter part is busted off as well as the some parts that bolt to the motor, but if i can take the guts out without too much difficulty ide like to just swap the guts out to my broke tranny housing... i hope that makes sense. is there any archives with this tranny rebuild info? it doesnt look that hard of a project, but ive never cracked into a tranny, and the first tiem i did an engine it went back together and worked, so im pretty confident i can do it with a tranny too.

the OP was kinda of some daydream kinda thinking, but ive been looking into tighter gear ratios as a way to get some more pep, and was curious about any of the other trannys guts and exterior part... I like autostick and would consider that kind of swap, and i thought it would be really cool if i could tighten the ratio differently between different gears.. get good tight gears between 1 and 4 then keep a decent 5th(highway) gear to keep the rpms down while im just cruising.. i read a couple AWD swap articles, and some stuff about upgrading tranny internals and lsd units, and some of the AWD stuff referred to switching out one of the gears(not a literal gear like 1-5) but i think it was the big one that rides around where you put the axles in, and that was to change the final drive ratio..

anyway I just figured since im gonna have the tranny i got tore apart, i might be able to tweak on it a bit maybe..

thanks,
Dustin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts