Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its time to do wheels and tires on my budget build 1987 shadow project and I have a good line on a set of 4 beretta gtz whes that I know people have used on a shadow b4, but I wanna know how wide is too wide? Because I also have a good line on a set of 215 55 16 tires for the rims, are these too wide for the rim? What about the car? Will this rub so much that I'll regret it? Also obviously these rims will clear discs front and back? (disc conversion planned as well) sorry for all the questions, but you guys are a great help :)

Thanks,
Kyle

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
They're borderline too wide for the wheel, but majorly too tall for a shadow.

The best looking tire you can get for a 6 or 6.5" wide 16" on a shadow would be 205/50r16. If you had a 7 or 7.5" wheel i would recommend a 215/45r16 instead.

·
Premium Member
9,094 Posts
+1 tire size is compatible with wheel

AND

wheel/tire combo will fit fine on a P-body;
205/55-16 was an optional size, on 16x6 wheels

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Just because it was stock doesnt mean it looked good, and 215/55r16 is even bigger.

If the wheels are 7.0 (thanks Jason) i would definitely go with a 215/45r16 and slight lowering.

This isnt a shadow but this is 215/46r16s and lowering.

Also look at these and compare the 215/45 with slight lowering(the black car) to 205/55 (the red car) and keep in mind 215/55 would be EVEN TALLER than that.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I run 225/50/16s on my Duster with the GTZ rims...no problems in back at all, but I did have to clearance the front calipers a bit. Basically, there is a casting line that had to be ground away on the portion of the caliper closest to the spokes, it JUST BARELY touched the spoke. This is with the later brake set-up though, I don't know how close the clearance will be on the earlier brakes. Oh, and at full lock I would rub the subframe a little while cornering sometimes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok do now you guys have me set on the 2 different sized tires. The 225 50's and the 205 55's. I plan on dragging this car and looking at running high to mid thirteens, which tires are gonna get a better launch and grip outta these two?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts