Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
90 daytona ES 2.5 turbo, 14 psi, will be at 25psi

whats the best sounding straight through muffler i can get for this?

NOTE..the entire exhaust system will be a downpipe, cat, and then the muffler with a dump in the middle of the car. im sure this specific setup will affect the sound of the muffler as opposed to a side exit or a rear exit.

what sounds REAL good in this setup? must be daily driver compatible. does not have to be cheap. must be straight through

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have always been a fan of an old glasspack. longer ones muffle the sound a bit better and don't really mess up the flow. I've got a pair of indeterminate age on my '78 pickup. V8 sure, but it sounds great. Another glasspack on my old aires wagon is nearly silent at idle but just sounds evil at full throttle.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Dumping the exhaust under the car isn't going to be very quiet inside the car, just letting you know cause I've been there. My favorite is also the glasspack. Can fit anywhere under the car, not very restrictive, and sounds good. I have a gutted stock cat and 2 1/4" mandrel bent pipes with a glasspack at the rear.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Think the glasspack is everyone's fav. Last car I ran w/ it was my TI '87 Z, ran 16PSI. High flow oversized cat and a Thrush. Sounded amazing.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I have a Dynomax on mine, I haven't driven it with the new exhaust setup though so I'll let you know how it sounds in a couple days. At idle it does seem to quite the exhaust a lot(I can hear a few exhaust leaks up near the engine now, although it might be just because of the thinner pipe of my swingvalve), it might be a little ricey, again I'll have to drive it to be sure, its definitely not like something you'd hear on a honda though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
90 daytona ES 2.5 turbo, 14 psi, will be at 25psi

whats the best sounding straight through muffler i can get for this?

NOTE..the entire exhaust system will be a downpipe, cat, and then the muffler with a dump in the middle of the car. im sure this specific setup will affect the sound of the muffler as opposed to a side exit or a rear exit.

what sounds REAL good in this setup? must be daily driver compatible. does not have to be cheap. must be straight through
I myself used XL3 Turbo muffler for my 97 Altima.It is giving me great service.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I have a Dynomax on mine, I haven't driven it with the new exhaust setup though so I'll let you know how it sounds in a couple days. At idle it does seem to quite the exhaust a lot(I can hear a few exhaust leaks up near the engine now, although it might be just because of the thinner pipe of my swingvalve), it might be a little ricey, again I'll have to drive it to be sure, its definitely not like something you'd hear on a honda though.
I've been driving mine and it really isn't ricey at all. Its obviously not as deep as it would be with a V8 but it doesn't have that honda sound to it. While cruising, there is practically no noise what so ever and when I'm WOT, it opens up to a nice aggressive tone.

·
Registered
36 Posts
vid of what mine sounds like... i'll be changing the exhaust eventualy... but it's how i got the car...

YouTube - shelby charger... she runs... exhaust noise

stock t1, into stock down pipe into some sort of high pro cat into 2.5" pipe i belive it is... cut off at the gas tank (went into a flomaster but that was removed before i had the car)... as it sits now i'd like to add some to the exhaust to have it dump next to the car (in front of the wheel)... with the gutted interior the exhaust is pretty loud

that being said exhaust sound is subjective... my volvo with a cat into a moderatly sized blown out glass pack sounded pretty bitching and not TO loud...

at minimum if you are giong to have it exit under the car i'd suggest a turn down...

·
Registered
489 Posts
I had a 2.5 TBI built, high compression, self ported everything, shaved head, stacked intakes gaskets. ect.

Had a stock dp into a gutted cat, into a few inches of pipe, into a 2" Thrush glasspack, longstyle, into a turn down.

Car was very loud, but had a very deep, nice tone to it.

But inside created an unbearable resonance inside.

·
Registered
557 Posts
My vote is NO muffler. Install a Catco cat and ditch the muffler altogether! I had a '91 R/T with 3" and flowmaster, a Shelby Lancer with a 2.5" and magnaflow, and my '89 CSX with 2.5" catco cat and NO muffler. The CSX sounded by FAR the best and wasn't as loud as you might think with a straight-pipe turned down out back. It did sound similar to a semi truck upon deceleration which I thought was really cool! Quite unmistakably turbocharged!! The RT was by FAR the loudest all around, even louder than my SRT4. Eliminate the muffler altogether.. you'll see what I mean!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I agree that no muffler is best. I am running a full 3" exhaust with only a cat on my Rampage, but I have to have a muffler installed in order to pass safety inspection in Utah. I am running a 2.5" exhaust on my SL with an Aero muffler that I am extremely pleased with and so I will be installing a 3" Aero muffler on the Rampage soon. I'll try to post some pix of the SL exhaust later. The Aero muffler is a straight through design, stainless, and very compact. Also, make sure that whatever muffler that you go with is a straight through design. If you can't look directly through it then it is no good for your TD.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I enjoy my Dynomax 3" bullet, completely smooth from one end to the other but still kicks down the sound enough the cops heads dont turn lol. Best part is the smooth internals unlike the glasspacks that are "ribbed" throught the center.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The best souding muffler on our cars that I've had was Borla SX muffler. I've tried no muffler, cherry bomb, dynomax, turbo muffler, flowmaster and Borla was the best. As a matter of fact, I tried it on my WRX and it was the best sounding exhaust I've heard on that car.
All my setups were with a high flow cat, I'm sure that changed the sound somewhat...

Alex...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts