Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Shelby Z with a few FWD mods (stage 3 cal, 2.5 exhaust, F2 cam etc....) has an abundance of almost unusuable torgue on the low end (especially in the first two gears)......not much on the top end (after 4700rpm). Realizing this is typical of an 8v T2............ Can I effectively move my power up the power band with an adjustable cam gear? Is it worth the money? What do you guys think? I would really hate trying to launch this car after I install the stage 5, 255 fp, +40's and bigger FMIC this summer. I'm not ready for the LSD investment yet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I take that as the adjustable cam gear is not atleast a partially viable solution???? I've already purchased a recommended camshaft from FWD.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
yes, the adjustable sprocket can make a significant difference. but the turbo will be a cork at some point too, so there will be limited benefits.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You have an issue with the car now. If its falling on its face at 4700rpm, then the cam is advanced too much. You are describing to a "T" the one tooth advanced cam drivablity issues. Stock turbo motors will fall off or "flat line" over 4800-5000rpm, but they won't take a dive.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would describe the top end as flat after 4800rpm not a dive in power. The car runs great...I just want to move the power band. The tires just smoke through first and most of second gear. I would like to use this power on the top instead. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Cheapest easiest way to fix your problem is to get the car to hook with what you have, rather than try and move the power band. Good drag radials, new suspension bushings front and rear, and a proper alignment do wonders. A bigger turbo would work too, but that only lasts so long, pretty soon your melting the tires in 2nd and 3rd instead... :thumb:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd prefer 2nd and 3rd....:D Thanks for the info guys! The turbo and LSD will come next year. Speaking of turbos.....I purcased an "enforcer" turbo for around $700 from FM about 7 years ago (still sitting in the box :( ) for my 86' Laser XT T1. Does anyone know the specs on this turbo? Is it any good? Unfortunatley, it was an impulse purchase....:thumb: I'm converting the Laser, this summer, to a T2 (I'll convert the turbo to make it work....way too much money to waste.........:(

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
bolt on just the .63 housing first and then try it out. That will raise the power band, cheap and some what easy to do to a Garret. The stage 3 and the F2 are doing there job, your just getting the air moving too fast for the little turbo. So the .63 will soften the boost hit and make you hook much better.

·
Premium Member
9,110 Posts
^+1 on the .63 housing - that will help soften the bottom end and strengthen the top end ; do that when you get a chance ..

quadruple check cam timing to make sure you aren't a tooth off (which it doesnt sound like you are)

also check your ign timing ; advanced a bit (1-2 deg) will give more torque; retarded a smidge (1-2 deg) will help top end

then for a cheap & quick mod, retard the cam 3-5 degrees ; that should make a noticeable change ; I could even loan you a 4 or 5 deg offset cam key to play with :0

cheaper than an adj cam gear ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts