Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Was Driveing Home From My Freinds House And I Was In Fifth Gear About 70 Mph And It Started To Make Alot Of Noise So I Took It Out Of Fifth And It Was Fine Only Fifth Does This When I Got Home I Looked Under The Car And It Looks To Me Like The End Cover Has Been Leaking Just Wanted To Know What You People Think I Got To Get To Work So I Need To Fix This Asap Any Ideas

85 OMNI GLH
525 TRANY

·
Registered
604 Posts
If you put it in 5th does it try to push itself out of gear? 5th is easily damaged from low oil due to the way it receives oil, so if the cover has been leaking and you've been driving it for a while then it's possible to damage 5th. Luckily it's an easy fix even with the trans in the car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It Does Not Pop Out Of Gear It Just Makes Som Nasty Noises I Just Think Its A Bearing Just Dont Know Wher To Get Parts For This Trany

·
Registered
604 Posts
Parts are easy, but there's no reason it would make noise in 5th and not in any other gear if it was a bearing.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Sounds like you ran it low on fluid and damaged the shaft and 5th gear and maybe more.

Low fluid and not checking the level is the #1 killer of our transmissions.

You can pull the end cover off to reseal it, an easy job requiring only RTV and a 10 mm socket. If you find metal, brass and other damage it's rebuild time.

As for the bearings, your local friendly Dodge dealer is your buddy here, that's where I get mine.

If you want a rebuilt transmission let me know as I'm close by here in Connecticut.

Cliff Ramsdell
The Transmission Authority
For all your 5 speed and 3 speed auto needs
[email protected]
'86 GLHS 210 Shelby Roll cage and Posi unit. Cliff's, Home of the TIII Wagon
Mopartek

I Was Driveing Home From My Freinds House And I Was In Fifth Gear About 70 Mph And It Started To Make Alot Of Noise So I Took It Out Of Fifth And It Was Fine Only Fifth Does This When I Got Home I Looked Under The Car And It Looks To Me Like The End Cover Has Been Leaking Just Wanted To Know What You People Think I Got To Get To Work So I Need To Fix This Asap Any Ideas

85 OMNI GLH
525 TRANY

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
took the trany apart today and the only thing that i can see is wrong[ is that the 5th gear is missing a alot of teeth other than that it seams fine talked to chris at TU and he has 5th gear for me so i should be allset

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if its posible i would like to get ahold of cliff ramsdell i cant email somethings wrong with my computer so if thers any other way i can call you im intrested in doing a reuild over the winter maybe a conversion

thanks MARK

·
Registered
604 Posts
could be worse...
[
Holy shit. I've rebuilt I don't know how many of our 5spds in my dads shop and I've never seen a 568 (or any trans for that matter) shear of the input shaft like that.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Well,
I'm not posting my phone number here so if you can't email me at [email protected] then post your phone number and I'll give you a call.

Cliff Ramsdell
The Transmission Authority
For all your 5 speed and 3 speed auto needs
[email protected]
'86 GLHS 210 Shelby Roll cage and Posi unit. Cliff's, Home of the TIII Wagon
Mopartek

if its posible i would like to get ahold of cliff ramsdell i cant email somethings wrong with my computer so if thers any other way i can call you im intrested in doing a reuild over the winter maybe a conversion

thanks MARK

·
Registered
147 Posts
My A555 busted a fifth gear ring because it ran out of oil. The axel seals went and I saw oil so I just assumed that there a leak from the engine not knowing that the transmission is filled with 5W-30. I guess fifth gear is the first to go because it's the last gear to get oil. Oil is splashed around and runs down a channel to get to fifth from what I understand. I fill the tranny up with as much oil as possible now. I jack it up as far as it will go on the left side, pull the plug and dump oil in till it flows out then stick the plug back in.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey CLIFF thanks for helping me out my number is 1774-526-7201 give me a call anytime

and i was woundering if it is posible to change the rear timken bearing on the end of the input shaft assembly that goes in to the bearing retainer plate without takeing out the input shaft can it be don in the car its the only bearing they sell at the parts store so i woundering if i should just change it but the one in there seams ok no pitting scoreing oe heat marks just a litle sloppy only when its not in the retainer plate

thanks MARK:thumb:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Cliff's brother, my uncle, died saturday morning from heart failure. It'll be a few weeks until people get replies back on anything.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Mark,
I'll give you a call tomorrow.

Cliff

hey CLIFF thanks for helping me out my number is 1774-526-7201 give me a call anytime

and i was woundering if it is posible to change the rear timken bearing on the end of the input shaft assembly that goes in to the bearing retainer plate without takeing out the input shaft can it be don in the car its the only bearing they sell at the parts store so i woundering if i should just change it but the one in there seams ok no pitting scoreing oe heat marks just a litle sloppy only when its not in the retainer plate

thanks MARK:thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts