Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had zero compression on one of the cylinders, so I removed the valve cover to investigate. Lo and behold I see a rocker arm just laying there on top of the head. It appears to be undamaged but I will need to look more closely tomorrow. How did this happen? Will I need to remove the cam to put it back in its place? Or can I finagle it back in?

· Registered
1,215 Posts
I had zero compression on one of the cylinders, so I removed the valve cover to investigate. Lo and behold I see a rocker arm just laying there on top of the head. It appears to be undamaged but I will need to look more closely tomorrow. How did this happen? Will I need to remove the cam to put it back in its place? Or can I finagle it back in?
It's usually from a collapsed hydraulic lifter or the Cam is wiped out. Rarely a weak valve spring.

If the cam looks good and the lifter feels mushy you can compress the Spring with a tool and put it back in. Change the oil maybe lifter not pumped up....

· Registered
3,406 Posts
You should be able to put it back in place.

The problem is often caused by a valve seat that has dropped.

Check to see if the valve stem is lower than the one beside it.

Thanks
Randy

· Registered
1987 GLHS 0564
828 Posts
Most likely a bad hydraulic lash adjuster cause the rocker to come off. There is a spring compressing tool.that cost about $20 that wraps around the camshaft and pushes down on the valve spring. Once that is down a but you should be able to slide the rocker back under the cam. However if the lash adjuster is bad, it is likely that the rocker will pop off again.

Suggest getting the PT lash adjusters and shims and replace all.your adjusters.

· Super Moderator
12,346 Posts
before you do much of anything .. remove the sparkplug and try to view the piston top below that valve

I had a rocker arm slip out in a fairly low milage , new cryco replacement 2.5 motor

granted it had rattled like a can of bolts when driven the last time but...
there was a section of piston stuck between the valve and seat as the valve had hung down during the process and killed the piston ..badly

the lash adjuster would not compress at all.. not even when I put it in a bench vise and smacked it with first a hammer & then a 4 pound sledge..

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's the story with the PT lash adjuster plus shims? I'm a Mopar muscle, big block person and this 4 cylinder is toy, something new and different to learn about. Are there shims already In the head, and can't they be re-used? I understand the adjusters are worn and likely need replacement. Please educate me...thanks.

· Registered
341 Posts
The PT lifters are the same bore size but are shorter. The washer sits at the bottom of the bore and the lifter sits above it to match the height of the 8 valve lifters.

No the shim is not there, they come with the new lifters if bought from a turbo dodge vendor.

· Registered
2,879 Posts
79 bucks at turbododgeparts.com for pt lifters.

Pretty much same price as rockauto for 8 lifters from RA.
$79 That would be for USED salvage yard lash adjusters with shims.
$94 if you want OEM new from Turbododgeparts.
RA sells new aftermarket 2.2 lash adjusters for as low as $5.25 with 5% discount.
IMO over-hyped product esp. for a NA application.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts