Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a MSD Blaster SS coil in my 89 omni thats been converted to t1 using an 87 daytona z drivetrain. I mounted it on the bolt where the a/c compressor was. Lengthened the ground wire resistor thing and left it in the stock location. I started the car and all seemed well. It now seems to want to stall, the fan kicks on after it stumbles and the idle picks up. I checked the codes and nothing comes up. Oh and the performance is less than impressive. Thanks in advance for your help, its appreciated.

·
Administrator
24,835 Posts
If the fan is coming on and the idle picks up it sounds like the vehicle is going into failure and you say there are no codes. Does the check engine lamp come on when it stumbles?
Also what resistor are you refering to,Chrysler vehicles use a coil with an internal ballast resistor,do you have the correct coil for you application? Did the problems start after you installed this coil?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
run my blaster 2 for almost three years now....(not sure the exact difference between that and the SS though)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes NAJ the check engine light flickers when it stumbles. By resistor i meant the little cylnder that is attached to the ground wire on the coil. Is it for radio interference or something? No true idea if it is technically for my application, I figured it was a universal deal. No sign of the stumbling before the new coil.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CRAZYMADBASTARD the msd sight says that the resistor is for a points ignition system? Oh and i think the blaster 2 makes 5000 more volts and is more convinient, being a drop in replacement, but my parts guy would have had to order it.

·
Administrator
24,835 Posts
Do you still have your O.E coil?
I would reinstall the old coil and see if the problem goes away. if it does then you bolted the problem to the vehicle.
According to the web page and instructions listed for installation if used on a non- current limiting ignition system an 0.8 ohm ballast resistor(MSD # 8214) is required.The resistor should wire inline in the + coil wire. Our systems will fall into this catagory as our O.E. coils use a resistor that is built into the coil. Current to the + coil is a direct 12 volts from the ASD relay.
If you have any questions I would contact MSD,there is a technical support # on the webpage.
http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/8207_frm25227.pdf

·
Registered
24 Posts
Depending on the Blaster coil you purchase, they often include the extra ballast resistor in the package; yes, it's required or you'll smoke the coil in fairly short order.

Also, as an aside, the blanket statement about Chryslers using an internal resistor is not true of many Chryslers, particularly carbureted applications and most pre-'90 RWD applications. Those vehicles that do use the external resistor still need the extra MSD ballast wired inline in series with the original resistor or the new coil will overheat and fail. A lot of times aftermarket vendors aren't very clear on this, so always be sure to research your application or call the manufacturer directly.

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
Yes NAJ the check engine light flickers when it stumbles. By resistor i meant the little cylnder that is attached to the ground wire on the coil. Is it for radio interference or something? No true idea if it is technically for my application, I figured it was a universal deal. No sign of the stumbling before the new coil.
that isn't a resistor, it's the condenser; see:

Ignition Systems* A Short Course

but is it really needed ??

"In the electronic ignition system, the points and condenser were replaced by electronics"

PS - I like my Blaster II, mounted to the A/C boss, running a condenser off the '-' side; pretty sure I didnt wire the MSD ballast resistor into the "+" feed - and yet it has beeen running fine for 2 years ?!
(I will have to check and see how I wired that !?)

·
Registered
667 Posts
WHy a resistor, the stock 2.2 Turbo coil has 0.52 - 0.63 ohm primary resistance. The MSD has 0.7 ohm, therefore it's actually weaker or at least less of a load. Certainly the MSD looks electrically to be less reliable, much less.

I run a blaster 2 with no resistor, seems to be rather weak at high boost, I might go back to a stock turbo coil soon.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Nah I was wrong, that was the 91+ Turbo coil, the 86-89 are around 1.3 ohms primary. Might want to add 0.5 ohms to protect the PM... I don't.

·
Administrator
24,835 Posts
Pre 91 used a canister style coil and 91 up used the brick style coil.
To Rearveiw ; I should have been more clear about Chryslers internal ballast resistor, I was refering to our MPFI Turbo vehicles, sorry for the confusion.
My 73 dart,72 duster,68 fury all had external ballst resistors. I used to carry extra's in the glove box.
But, rusted89omni's problem did not occur until he installed the coil so we have to assume the coil is faulty,wiring is not secure or correct or something that is needed was not installed.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
so not to hijack, but its related....the way i have it on my car seems to have worked fine for over two years now (granted only run in the summer so not two years of actual driving)....should i be doing somthing different? right now i have just replaced the stocker with a blaster 2, no other things added...

·
Administrator
24,835 Posts
I do not have an answer for that, obviously you are not having problems but his problems started right after installing the coil.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
yeah, im not gonna worry about it, like i said all seems fine. just figured id ask someone that knows more about electronics than me....not my thing at all, unless its stereo work.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
replaced the ss coil with the stock one, no more stumbling. The problem is gone, then I smoked the head gasket. Crappy fel-pro crap the car came with when i bought it. thanks for the help! Sorry i couldnt respond sooner. Stupid internet has been down for a couple of weeks. Oh and im not mucking with the fel-pro junk, Mopar Performance head gasket and bolts!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so where did the car stumble in terms of RPMs. Just trying to see if I have the same issue.
thanks
It would stumble right at idle, idle up to 2000rpm or so (cant recall the exact speed its been a while) and stumble again. Im going to try it again as soon as I get it back together. Stubborn I suppose.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts