Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cruisin over to my aunts house last night everything was goin good. The newly rebuilt 2.5 was runnin great. I turned a corner downshifted and gave the car about half throttle and the car lost power. A huge cloud of blew smoke blew out the back, the car would barely boost anymore and there was oil all over the engine bay.

It looks like the number 1 piston blew again. But this time the car was intercooled! My cal is set up for a 2.5L engine running 15psi(WOT) on stock injectors and this is the second time the engine has let loose.

Ideas for new engine:
1) rebuild 85 engine and return the car to stock.
2) rebuild the 2.5 with FORGED internals
3) rebuild the 2.5 with regular pistons
4) Push car off cliff
5) get a 2.2 crank and pistons and hope they hold up better

If I return the car to a stock log setup what are the possibilities for power?
Im really looking for a mid 13 second driver which I dont think is possible on a log setup?

What would you do?

· Registered
13,610 Posts
It looks like the number 1 piston blew again. But this time the car was intercooled! My cal is set up for a 2.5L engine running 15psi(WOT) on stock injectors and this is the second time the engine has let loose.

Ideas for new engine:
1) rebuild 85 engine and return the car to stock.
2) rebuild the 2.5 with FORGED internals
3) rebuild the 2.5 with regular pistons
4) Push car off cliff
5) get a 2.2 crank and pistons and hope they hold up better
If I were you, do number 4. Doesn't matter what if you do any of the other options above, if you don't find the source of your problem, your newly rebuilt engine will die again.

Stock what injectors? Early TI or TII? What calibration are you using?

Please don't tell me you're using early TI injectors with a TII calibration...

· Banned
355 Posts
Whats with these TD's having engine problems. must be parts quality?
My son just lost the turbo in his this week end.
most definitely do forged internalls. if you can afford it have the rotating assembly balanced also. if your boosting above stock without a wide band to monitor , thats just foolish.
and allow plenty of time to seat in the rings before you go applying boost.
My son made that mistake as well as not having wide band on first rebuild.
just my :two cents:
good luck and keep us updated

· Premium Member
2,428 Posts
I hate to say it but these mtrs are actually rock solid when everything is working right! Taking out a piston at 15 psi! Can't say I've ever done that. Did you hear audible knock? You must have, cause I've heard audible knock on stock pistons at 20 psi, got OFF the throttle right away and had no problems. I can't stress this enough, drive the new mtr for 700 miles, break it in and give yourself a chance to check that everything is working properly before you ,let it loose. If your going to change things up, you HAVE to monitor your A/F with something! In the early days I used the ol Cyberdyne narrow band, Never let me down! You just have to know how to read it!

· Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heres answers to questions from the other site.

Were you using the same injector when the first engine went?!? and what piston was it?? Maybe you have a bad injector? Also, who is doing the rebuilds?
Yes we were using the same injectors and its the same piston that blew the first time. piston #1.

What happened to the first engine?
Do you have any guages?
What injectors are you running and I assume you've swapped to a one piece intake and matching cal etc?
What happened to the 2nd engine-have you looked or guessing?
The first engine went lean and broke the ring land on the number one piston. I dont have any gauges except a boost gauge. The injectors are stock 89 2.5 injectors which is what the cal is setup for. With the second engine, hit boost and lost power, smoke and oil everywhere from the exhaust and pcv. Were almost certain we broke the number one piston again.

We need more info on your setup.
2.5L engine from an 89 lebaron
glhs electronics
custom stage 3 cal from FWD setup for the 2.5 using stock injectors
2.5" exhaust
glhs IC/radiator combo
turboxs rfl bov

Oh and my dad did the rebuild. Hes been a professional mechanic for over 20 years.

The first time we thought the engine blew because it wasnt intercooled and things got to hot and it only smoked a bit on idle. But this time it went all out. Car barely boosts and smokes like crazy when it does. Oil is crazy out the pcv and my rfl blew it all over the engine bay.

Thanks everyone.

Oh and this time there was NO audible knock. About 600 miles were on the engine and it was running GREAT before this happened. It was an overcast day and the temp gauge and oil pressure gauge said all was good.

· Registered
1,235 Posts
make sure its not just your turbo went ka-put. I had a turbo go and thought for sure it was the engine. Do a compression test.

· Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But if it was the turbo then why would oil spray out of the pcv system? Also cylindar one seems to be running wierd.

Also the pistons we used were federal mogul sealed power pistons. Part number H579P. Are those hyperteuctic?

· Registered
1,235 Posts
if the turbo went it could be blowing oil into the intake and getting into the pcv system. thats just an idea. I had so much oil blowing out my turbo that it fouled 2 of the spark plugs.
I cant verify if that part number is for hyperteuctic pistons. You should never use hyperteuctic pistons in a forced induction engine.

· Registered
1,235 Posts
The best thing to do is a comprssion test

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts

· Mr. Moderator
8,952 Posts
Compression test forsure!
Verify it is the motor before you start jumping to conclusions.
WHen your car is limping and you know something is wrong why are you going into boost anyways?
Is the motor idling wierd or when you dont go into boost is it riding normal?
You need to verify everything is properly working and that the turbo seals didn't blow.
I have had a turbo blow before sounds exactly like that!

· Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Compression test forsure!
Verify it is the motor before you start jumping to conclusions.
WHen your car is limping and you know something is wrong why are you going into boost anyways?
Is the motor idling wierd or when you dont go into boost is it riding normal?
You need to verify everything is properly working and that the turbo seals didn't blow.
I have had a turbo blow before sounds exactly like that!
Well the only time I tried to go into boost was right when it blew and I was findin a place to pull over. The motor is idling wierd and not boosting right. It smokes at idle and when you get into boost. Hopefully its just a turbo but Ill find out when I get the time to do a compression check, but Im almost certain its the #1 piston again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.