Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
blow off valves release pressure off the intake when the throttle is closed. it releases the air into the engine compartment, and really you find the right one they sound pretty cool.

i dont know much about the turbo end of these cars but a bov should be able to be used on them, you dont "need" one but it wont hurt to have one, you should benefit from it. even if its just the cool "psssshhh" sound you can go cheapo off ebay but i wouldnt, the only one ive used on my other cars (tbird, boosted volvo) was the greddy type rs. sounds sick IMO

EDIT** you can still use one though right guys?

·
Legendary Driver
10,968 Posts
No BOV can be used because the Throttle Body is BEFORE the turbo. So when you shut the throttle instead of getting a pressure spike on your turbo all that happens is the turbo starts spinning in vacuum.

·
Registered
898 Posts
^exactly, but what if you intercool a log motor? would a bov be benificial at all? it prevents stacking on the turbo blades, but still on a log you run into (what was said earlier) the TB is before the turbo, so theres nothing in the way to absolutly block the airflow and stack up on the compressor housing.

so i would say no. no bov on a log motor. even if you intercool it. which you should do that too if you havent already.

·
Legendary Driver
10,968 Posts
doesn't matter what intake you use. Here's the rule. If the TB is after the turbo you need a BOV, if it's before it you don't need one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts