Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 94 chysler lebaron landau, when i purchased the car the blower motor for the heat/ac did not work. from what i understand it can be the switch, the resistor, or the motor. i tore it apart today to check it out. i could not find the resistor, if anyone could help me with that itd be appreciated. from what i found the blower motor has 2 wires running to it. a green and a black with a yellow stripe. i checked these and both wires were hot. is this correct? and if so this means i have a bad motor which is what i am assuming. if anyone can back me up or have any input id greatly appreciate it before i spend the money on a new motor and take the time to put it in.

·
Registered
620 Posts
if you have power and ground to the motor and it's not spinning, it's obvious that the motor is bad.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the motor has a rubber gasket around it and screws into i think plastic. so do i have a ground? that is my question. i have power coming through both wires. i dont know if that is normal or not. as soon as you switch on the key no matter what setting on the unit, both wires get power.

·
Registered
620 Posts
one of the 2 wires should have a ground; I believe the wire colors are dark green and black on the plug. Black, if I remember correctly, should be the controlled ground (via the fan speed selector switch). Green should be a power supply. I could look it up at work today and let you know for sure

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
The resistor can be located on the heater/AC unit itself with the coils protruding into the unit to stay cool, or it can be located near the windshield washer tank. Those are the two places I have seen it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great guys thanks, i pulled up the front vallence by the wiper arms and found nothing, so i guess its by the control unit. but if both wires have power that would be the resistor is bad correct? i put the test light on both wires and both lit. i have no idea what would cause this. both had power no matter what setting the fan was on also.

·
Registered
620 Posts
As I suspected, the switch controls the path through the respected resistor setting to ground for each switch position.

Judging from what you said, either your switch or your resistor pack is bad. I suspect that your blower motor is still good.

You can test which one is the culprit by using a test light. On the switch, you can power up one side of the test light w/ +12v DC and then unplug the resistor pack, and at the resistor pack plug, probe each terminal while trying each setting of the switch. A different terminal at the plug should light the test light up as you switch positions on the blower motor speed switch. If not, the switch is bad.

If it does light up a different terminal each time, then your resistor pack is bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts