Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I live like 2-3 miles down a very windy and steep hill to the grocery / liquor / pot shop and my van has the overflow tank boiling by the time I make it to the grocery store. It seems to actually be worse if I refill the radiator when I make it to the grocery store.

It sputters and runs horrible, but it has made the trip to the grocery store and back a few times. Tonight I kept yelling "JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL" as I drove back with the temp gauge bouncing between middle-temp and spiking to the H!

The oil doesn't look cloudy yet and the oil is actually pretty fresh, just changed it before I did my 700 mile round-trip move. Is it possible to keep this van alive for a few more weeks while I get my LeBaron running again so I can take apart the Voyager and re-surface the head?

Sorry if my question isn't very clear, I'm just wondering, if I keep driving it and putting water in the radiator, will it blow up all of a sudden up the hill? I don't think I can hear any rod knock and it sputters but runs pretty good once it blows all the coolant out of the tail pipe... just worried it will seize on me while driving and leave me stranded!

Thanks sooooo much TurboDodge!!!!!!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hey there,

I live like 2-3 miles down a very windy and steep hill to the grocery / liquor / pot shop and my van has the overflow tank boiling by the time I make it to the grocery store. It seems to actually be worse if I refill the radiator when I make it to the grocery store.

It sputters and runs horrible, but it has made the trip to the grocery store and back a few times. Tonight I kept yelling "JESUS TAKE THE WHEEL" as I drove back with the temp gauge bouncing between middle-temp and spiking to the H!

The oil doesn't look cloudy yet and the oil is actually pretty fresh, just changed it before I did my 700 mile round-trip move. Is it possible to keep this van alive for a few more weeks while I get my LeBaron running again so I can take apart the Voyager and re-surface the head?

Sorry if my question isn't very clear, I'm just wondering, if I keep driving it and putting water in the radiator, will it blow up all of a sudden up the hill? I don't think I can hear any rod knock and it sputters but runs pretty good once it blows all the coolant out of the tail pipe... just worried it will seize on me while driving and leave me stranded!

Thanks sooooo much TurboDodge!!!!!!
Just do the headgasket clamshell method. Running on a blown gasket will ruin the head.
I just saw this recently...
Go to 9:50

That being said junkyard head is like $100

I ran one hard for years in high-school with a blown headgasket and never fixed it. I had crazy pressure blowing heater hoses but no smoke out the exhaust. If it's smoking bad I bet the head is badly warped and already junk. Eventually it will just stop moving but as long as there's no coolant in the oil the bottom end should be fine. Antifreeze eats bearings.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
You've got a headgasket leaking into the combustion chamber. It will only get worse. Keep driving it and you will wreck the whole engine, not just the head. Coolant makes a crappy lubricant in your engine. If your relying on a 30+ year old car with a known blown headgasket for daily transportation, your just asking for misery and a huge repair bill. Radiator, heater core could also let go from combustion chamber pressures. Ever replace a heater core in your van? That will be the icing on the cake to your repair bill.

·
Administrator
25,653 Posts
The group is correct, DO NOT drive the vehicle with a blown HG.

You do not always get coolant in the oil when you have blown a headgasket over the water jacket which is the case 95% of the time with our cars, however...
If coolant does get into the oil it will destroy the rod and main bearings.
My Son lost an engine due to this, 2002 Chrysler Concorde 2.7L, the water pump (timing belt driven) was leaking slightly and over time the coolant in the oil took its toll on the bearings and the car lost oil pressure, he never got it fixed and junked the car.

I never had coolant enter the oil the three times I have had to replace the headgasket.
First one was at 90,000 miles, on my way home from work, got towed to the dealership he was working at (they were open until 9 PM), I needed the car back ASAP so me and my Son did a "Slip and Slide" gasket replacement.
That gasket eventually got destroyed from "Overboost Shutdown" and that one was bad, I had to drive about 1 mile with smoke pouring out from everywhere and filling the passenger compartment, by time I got to my Son's I thought the car was on fire.
Paint Automotive lighting Wood Art Tints and shades

I then used a Mopar Performance HG, (also installed ARP Head Studs) that developed a tiny hole by the fire ring in under 10,000 miles.
Circle Tints and shades Beige Rim Auto part

Replaced that with a Fel-Pro and have been fine ever since.
"KNOCK ON WOOD!!!"

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,467 Posts
Are we talking one of our square body minis? What motor? 2.5(turbo or NA?), 3.0, 3.3? I have made a Plymouth Horizon survive for a long long time without warping the head(was a PAIN IN MY ASS though), but a van body is a very heavy body. More load = more heat. Really just best to listen to Jan.

Also, HI Grandpa! Long time no see! Why is the Lebaron down?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, HI Grandpa! Long time no see! Why is the Lebaron down?
I drove to the store the other day and oil-fouled a plug by keeping my car in-gear down a hill, then when I got home later I pulled a spark plug to see which cylinder it was (dumb, I know) and it zapped against the block really loud a few times and then the engine died.

Now I have no spark at all it seems... been trying to test it and can't get a big spark from the testing, just a teeny-tiny little hair-thin blue spark and not even a big "zap" sound at all.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You've got a headgasket leaking into the combustion chamber. It will only get worse. Keep driving it and you will wreck the whole engine, not just the head. Coolant makes a crappy lubricant in your engine. If your relying on a 30+ year old car with a known blown headgasket for daily transportation, your just asking for misery and a huge repair bill. Radiator, heater core could also let go from combustion chamber pressures. Ever replace a heater core in your van? That will be the icing on the cake to your repair bill.
Man I'm just trying to survive here... I finished writing my 2nd book but due to stupid vaccine passports and laws in Canada, I'm completely shut-out from marketing my work in person to make any money!

Also, since I have two broken vehicles, I can't even drive to a job even if I had one! Surviving off donations, savings, and online piece-work!

If both of my vehicles stop completely I'm going to have to walk down a canyon road with no sidewalk to get groceries like 2-3 miles each way, hahaha... oh man things are baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Man I'm just trying to survive here... I finished writing my 2nd book but due to stupid vaccine passports and laws in Canada, I'm completely shut-out from marketing my work in person to make any money!

Also, since I have two broken vehicles, I can't even drive to a job even if I had one! Surviving off donations, savings, and online piece-work!

If both of my vehicles stop completely I'm going to have to walk down a canyon road with no sidewalk to get groceries like 2-3 miles each way, hahaha... oh man things are baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.
Sorry to hear of your financial misfortune. Feel for anyone in that bad of dire straits. Hope things take a turn for the better for you. Hoping at least you have your health.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Map Green Terrestrial plant Organism Line

Holy crap guys due to the rain and poor Canadian infrastructure my wife and our daughter is stuck in Vancouver while I'm in Kelowna, hell, even if I had the money for parts to fix my Chryslers the friggen ROADS are all washed out so I wouldn't even get my friggen RockAuto delivery!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHH TURBODODGE BROS PRAY FOR ME!!!

Thanks bros!

·
Registered
492 Posts
View attachment 277756

Holy crap guys due to the rain and poor Canadian infrastructure my wife and our daughter is stuck in Vancouver while I'm in Kelowna, hell, even if I had the money for parts to fix my Chryslers the friggen ROADS are all washed out so I wouldn't even get my friggen RockAuto delivery!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHH TURBODODGE BROS PRAY FOR ME!!!

Thanks bros!
I spent like 8 bucks on a timing belt to get that Dodge 600 going after sitting for 20 years I bet if you get a $10 head gasket you can get that Van goin

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I spent like 8 bucks on a timing belt to get that Dodge 600 going after sitting for 20 years I bet if you get a $10 head gasket you can get that Van goin
All the highways leading to where I live from the closest major town are all washed out by landslides!

Hmmm... maybe they can ship it through Calgary
Map Green Terrestrial plant Organism Line

I just gotta wait on a payment now so I can afford the headgasket... what about head bolts, do I need to replace them too?

·
Registered
492 Posts
All the highways leading to where I live from the closest major town are all washed out by landslides!

Hmmm... maybe they can ship it through Calgary View attachment 277757

I just gotta wait on a payment now so I can afford the headgasket... what about head bolts, do I need to replace them too?
You're supposed to change em but if you check em for stretching and they look good you can save the $10-20 if you have too...

·
Administrator
25,653 Posts
If you are only doing a "slip and slide" to get up and running you will only need the headgasket, valve cover gasket, the exhaust bolt and spring kit, oil and oil filter and coolant.

Head Bolts are torque to yield one time use, as long as the threads are not stretched and the bolts will torque down to the proper specs you will be OK.
Newspaper Font Parallel Paper Rectangle

You will have to bring #1 cylinder to TDC on a compression stroke (align the timing mark on bellhousing to 0) and slide the timing belt off of the sprocket keeping tension on it so it does not move and support it with a bungy, coat hanger, etc., when the job is completed you will have to slide the belt back on the sprocket being sure to keep tension on the belt so Cam Timing does not change.
Chrysler suggests removing the entire sprocket and supporting that.
Motor vehicle Wheel Font Line Automotive tire
Font Art Circle Book Parallel

Be sure you can remove the bleed plug in the head so you can properly refill the cooling system and not have air in the system.
Font Book Parallel Paper Paper product
Newspaper Font Parallel Newsprint Paper
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Fashion accessory

·
Super Moderator
11,870 Posts
has the head been off before ?
factory specs say , actually , "torque to yield head bolts are one time REUSE"..

I've never had to remove the bleed plug at the t-stat.. I simply squeeze the upper rad hose like I'm milking a dying cow

·
Super Moderator
11,870 Posts
looking at your map pic I need to ask how close are you to prince george ?

there's a part listed on your local Kijiji page I've been looking for , for years ..
- I haven't spoken to the seller as yet but I might need someone to retrieve it and ship it

but I can't do anything at the moment except hope she still has it at the end of the month but maybe there's a chance we could help each other out a little bit

with the current situation in your area I doubt I need to worry someone's going to beat me to it
'izz kinda large.. but only one direction lol..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts