Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the head today for a blown gasket. Layed a straight edge across the head, between two of the cylinders is a low spot. Happens to be the same spot where the gasket decided to leak coolant, makes sense. Know I have the Cometic gasket and ARP studs already.

I need to get the head milled. I want to send it to Wallace at Lone Wolf but this is my daily ride, and my backup car 11-13 MPG is killing me on the 100 mile commute. Does anyone know of any reputable shops in California for a T-III head?

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I would think if all you want to do is mill the head flat any competent machine shop should be able to handle the job. Just do a search Wallace has posted what RA number it should finished with.
Tim

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
ra is 50 or better I believe.

L

·
0 Posts
You will want to machine it to an RA of 50 or smoother for a Cometic. Tell them to take as little as possible off of course. Then measure the VC sealing side to the HG side and see how much aluminum is missing. Im sure you will want as least the 074 HG. Stock thickness is around 5.021-24. Get it pressure checked before you mill it to make sure there are no cracks and you might as well put in some aluminum core plugs if it dont already have them. Good luck.....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is back up and running, well has been running for over a month now. Now it has a Cometic head gasket, ARP studs, timing belt, poly transmount, steel braided oil line to the turbo, water pump, all new exhaust valves, etc. Also permanently plugged that pesky 5/16" oil passge on the deck of the head.

Want to give a big thanks to Cindy at FWD Performance for UPS Next Day Airing the valves to me. I called her late in the day and she made the extra effort to get them out that day.

Ended up doing a heater and evaporator core the very next weekend. Glad to say this is the first time I've owned this car and it didn't lose any coolant between drives.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Glad to say this is the first time I've owned this car and it didn't lose any coolant between drives.
:laugh:
That's my ritual every time I take the R/T out ,Check the coolant, add as needed!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My car was leaking from the head gasket in another spot, which completely rusted the head bolt. Not to mention the heater core and the water pump leak. The strange thing was that it didn't use that much coolant, or not as much as you would expect.

I believe the waterpump leak, which I only had for 50,000 miles, kept the radiator from being pressurized when the head gasket leaked compression into the cooling channel. The water pump was a blow off valve for the coolant pressure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts