Turbo Dodge Forums banner

bogs down while slowing down..any ideas?

14K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Sliktoxic 
#1 ·
okay guys title pretty much says it all. the car runs great at idle and in boost the only time it wants to bog down is while ur slowing down at stop signs, etc... sometimes the car will fight and keep running or sometimes it dies. as long as i keep my foot on the gas the car is fine also. the only thing i can think of is the fuel pump or possibly the regulator. the fuel filter has been replaced. i've been fighting this issue since i got the car.

also thought that the problem may be the oil...the balance shafts where removed sometime ago and there was no kind of baffle put in it afterward. i have baffle designs just never was a top priority

any advice would help.:thumb:

#4 ·
Im betting on this too. The factory placement on the TB with the IAC abnd TPS sensors made it very easy to get alot of dirt,grease,and clutch dust in them causing more issues than the 8valve motors with them of top out of the way of these things.....

Did you check fuel pressure? Would not be a bad idea to do that even if its not the issue...

#3 ·
Probably a bad fuel pressure regulator. Mine did this, started with the same symptoms, and then started idling really rough and started sucking fuel through the vacuum lines. Eventually flooded the cylinders out and fouled the plugs. ran like crap and gave the catalytic converter a hard time...

#7 ·
Did you come up with an aswer to this yet. Mine is doing the same thing, I have replaced the iac motor, tps, fuel filter and it has a new 255gph walpro pump. I have run injector cleaner several times, the only things not replaced are the fuel regulator and ECM. Other than wanting to die coming off the highway to a stop it runs excellent. Sometimes it will catch and the rpm will run up and down till you get to a stop and then it will idle perfect.

Clay

#9 ·
I would also remove the TB hold the throttle open and clean the crud were the blade meets the bore. When you decel the IAC motor closes fully then backs out the calibrated setting, With that said the computer counts on the air going around the blade to keep the motor running.

#10 ·
I thought about the speed sensor, I replaced it when I first got the car and all was good. Then the car sat for a while and has had this issue since I started driving it again. That was when I started replacing the other items, because the speed sensor is relatively new (age wise not so but mileage wise yes) I have been putting that off as the problem. I may give that speed sensor another go.

Thanx, Clay

#13 ·
Just picked up a Vehicle Speed Sensor today. Will install it tomorrow when I change my Drivers side axle. I will also be installing poly engine mounts and an adjustable bobble strut from poly bushings. Will let you know if the VSS is the problem. BTW I have already cleaned the throttle body when I had it off changing the the IAC. I clean the throttle bodies on these cars on a regular basis, I learned that one years ago :)
Thanx for the input.

Clay

#15 ·
Replaced the VSS and put a set of NGK Iridium Plugs in. Did not fix the problem of not catching idle upon deceleration. Very seldom does it actually die. I have noticed one thing that may be a factor, I have just gotten this motor back together and although it runs like a banshee and idles good with plenty of vacuum 18, it runs extremely cold. Unless I am in stop and go traffic it will not heat up enough to even blow mildy warm air thru the heater. After it warms up in stop and go traffic it will blow nice and toasty warm. I am now thinking that with it running so cold the computer is running it rich to warm it up, that may be what is causing the bog, a flooded condition. I am going to run the car next week to work with the scanner on it and see exactly what the coolant temp is. BTW it has a brand new Thermostat from Cindy. Question becomes is there a way to warm this thing up. I am running a full size radiator with a FMIC and dual fans, but hell they never come on til I get stopped for a long period. Keep throwing Ideas out. I am getting between 25 and 28 mpg on a mostly hwy and mixed condition.

Thanx Clay

#18 ·
Found it. Vacuum Line Between the MAP Sensor and Baro Solenoid was leaking. Now the rpm stays up between shifts and when I come to a stop with the car out of gear and coasting the rpm stays at 1500 til I get to a complete stop then it drops to 1000. Thanx for all the Input. Hope this helps someone else. I had actually changed the vacuum line years back but I guess because one end is large and one small I did not get it snugged up good. I still had the original from back when I changed it (only because it was soft) and put it back on.

Clay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.