Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, looking to put a new turbo on really soon.... What is an affordable bolt on turbo for a daily driver??? The stock one is fine, but if I can get a small upgrade for a very affordable price, then that would be the way to go... Looking on ebay and there seem to be a ton of things for cheap, but not sure if they bolt right up, as this is the first turbo car I Have ever owned and really dont know what to look for... even when searching the forum I dont know what to look for....

Found this, is this good, will it bolt right up??
GODSPEED t3 60-1 turbo/70 compressor/63 trim/t3/5 bolt exhaust/ 550hp | eBay

Thanks for all your help!!!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I think Turbonetics has the only one that is a direct bolt in swap, but even that requires some different parts to fit. You could upgrade the compressor wheel on the stock turbo, rather inexpensive, also a good excuse to get a rebuild kit and put in some fresh bearings and other internals. Will probably run about $250 with parts and balancing - but it's 100% direct fit.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
the only lower priced turbos out there you want are the older hybrid T04E hybrids. On a T3 engine a Holset HY35, HE341 or HE351cw are the better choices for lower cash and high quality.

Almost missed I was in this section, the T3 uses standard T3 bolt pattern so Ebay turbos fit. They just don't work as well or last as long.

·
Registered
228 Posts
So then what would I need to bolt this one up??? This will bolt directly to my manifold, but what about my downpipe and everything...

CUMMINS Dodge HY35W TURBO Turbocharger 3599811 brand new 1 year warranty | eBay
If you are not doing any other modifications (or can't afford to at this time) just stick with a stock turbo.

A Holset is a great turbo for the car...however you need a good amount of supporting modifications and some fab skills to get it in the car.

Search these forums for Holset upgrades for TIII's to get an idea. But, you need to fabricate a new downpipe (Jackson makes them for purchase as well). I wouldn't install a Holset without new fuel pump and injectors, a computer calibration, new FMIC, and new exhaust. They just push too much air to bolt onto an otherwise stock R/T.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are not doing any other modifications (or can't afford to at this time) just stick with a stock turbo.

A Holset is a great turbo for the car...however you need a good amount of supporting modifications and some fab skills to get it in the car.

Search these forums for Holset upgrades for TIII's to get an idea. But, you need to fabricate a new downpipe (Jackson makes them for purchase as well). I wouldn't install a Holset without new fuel pump and injectors, a computer calibration, new FMIC, and new exhaust. They just push too much air to bolt onto an otherwise stock R/T.
I have stageI FWDP computer, 20% injectors, and full exhaust, and intake... Stock Intercooler....

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have stageI FWDP computer, 20% injectors, and full exhaust, and intake... Stock Intercooler....

Is your current turbo bad? Your next mod should be a quality FMIC and piping. If you get a Holset a FWDP stage 1 cal (and +20 injectors) arne't really enough in my opinion. I think you need to look at +40's and a 3Bar cal of some sort (I know they were working on a Holset cal at some point).

·
Vroom vroom.
452 Posts
With most eBay turbos you get what you pay for..... What is your HP goal?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Current turbo is bad... Not looking for anything really, just a stock one would be great... looks like they are very had to come by... I would just like a factory bolt on... That is all... lol...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Current turbo is bad... Not looking for anything really, just a stock one would be great... looks like they are very had to come by... I would just like a factory bolt on... That is all... lol...
?????????

Just click the question marks above for the link ^^^^^^

to get a rebuilt from FWD performance... $275 (after $100 core charge)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Not sure where you see that price.... I am seeing $375 with a $300 core...

My mistake.. on the main page TIII I saw $275 for the core charge and typed too fast. I think the cost of the turbo will be $375 after they get your core and if you didn't have a core it costs $650 total...

So, for $375 you get a rebuilt stocker.

I would say call fwd Performance and find out your options (including mild upgrades to the compressor wheel). Don't get an ebay no name from China turbo, don't get a Holset until you can get all the supporting mods/fab work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts