Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
2,548 Posts
Boost Control: Hybrid G-valve for over 22psi!

For those of us pushing the limits of the regular g-valves, about 22psi, I have come up with a cheap upgrade. I tried the ball-point pen thing, and i had problems with binding and inconsitency. Stretching the spring also causes inconsitency.

So i was looking through the catalog and I came accross a pressure releif valve that looks just like the Gvalve, but is slightly different. As is... its almost usless for our purposes, but with a combination of parts, it works well.

I got mine from McMaster-Carr, so those are the part numbers I have. "The Classic Gus Gvalve" is pn 48935k25. The new valve is 50265k23.

The new valve is comes with 4 springs for different pressure ranges. The yellow one is the lowest pressure range and the one I used.

Disassemble the Gus G-valve and keep the ball and the housing (the hex portion with the red silicone thread sealant on the 1/4 npt threads). Re-assemble it using the yellow spring and the top of the new valve.

Because the yellow spring is shorter than the spring that comes in the Gus Valve, you need to use the top from the new valve, which takes up some of the space.

You now have a "Hybrid G-valve" that is good to to 40+psi!

Now of course, this would all be made much simpler with fewer wasted parts if i could just find a higher pressure spring that has the same dimensions as the Gus Valve spring, but this works too and the 50265k23 valve is only $3.45.

Give it a try!

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Sounds like a good idea Mike. I might give that a whirl.

I currently use the "stretch the spring" method for my 22 psi high boost setting and its been pretty accurate and repeatable. But, maybe once I jack the boost higher that wont be so.

FYI - I stretched the standard spring from about 28 mm to 32 mm to get the boost from 20 psi to 22 psi.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Another "cheap" method is to take a 1/4" double sided ferule (sp) (ie compression fitting part) and drop it in... works PERFECT as well... Price 4 for a dollah!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts