Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1990 Sundance 2.5 Turbo I

*Boost Guage illuminates, but no boost or vacuum showing on guage.
*Car runs flawlessly, and obviously builds boost ( Bov Sounds nice when I let off), not to mention the car is quick.

* My first thought is a bad/split/popped off vacuum hose. Anyone got any pics or description of where the factory boost gauge hose runs, or how to check it?

* Secondly, how involved is it to pop off the guage cluster and check the vacuum line there? Would that be a good first step?

New to the turbo scene so sorry about the noob questions. Any help would be great. Thanks,

·
Registered
945 Posts
Take the center tower bezel off and remove the boost gauge. Check the hose route for defects.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright guys heres the report. Seems the power steering pulley ripped the ol boost guage vacuum line in half. I found the frayed end thats on the gauge side, but I cant seem to find the other side? Someone fill me in on where I should be looking for the factory boost gauge tap ( Turbo I ), please? Lighting was poor so I'll give it a fresh start tomorrow. I noticed if I yank out the stock boost gauge an aftermarket one will fit in the dash nicely, thinking this might be the time to go the autometer route.

·
Registered
945 Posts
So you have a big vacuum leak and it still runs good?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats the problem, I cannot seem to find the intake manifold side of the oem boost gauge line. Where should I look for it? More specifically, where is the OEM location for the vacuum line? Obviously I traced it out of the firewall, then it disintegrated at the power steering pump, and I couldnt see any traces of the other side. I even listened for a leak but got nothing. Any pics of a stock turbo I for me? Any help would be great. Again I'll check it out better tomorrow with some daylight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found a spot where at least three vaccuum lines go into what looks like a distribution block. The bottom cap ( which I assume is where the factory boost tap was) appears to be blocked off with a small black cap. So I'm assuming whoever owned the car before me realized that the vacuum tube was broken, and then plugged the open nipple? I hope I am looking in the right spot here.

·
Registered
945 Posts
So, the boost gauge has never worked since you have owned the car? I think you found the problem. Boost gauge line was mangled by previous owner and never repaired. Hopefully this is the only "residual repair" the previous owner left you. Simply splice into the gauge line and attach to capped source or run a one piece line if you prefer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts