Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here is a dumb question-does the turbo, when spooled up and cranking positive pressure, pressurize the crankcase to the point that it will, let's say, 'encourage' oil leaks???

I have a 88 daytona shelby z, and made the mistake of trying to correct a problem it has always had-oil in the airbox- I took the valve cover off (first mistake) because a TSB said to change a nipple that feeds the airbox from the crankcase. The 'new' one was exactly like the old one, but gee, I waited a week to get it from the dealer, so what the heck, I removed the old one and installed it-couldn't make it worse, right?

Well, while at the dealer, I said, 'I need a new valve cover gasket' so he ordered it and I got it the next day-one piece...when i took the cover off, it was NOT one piece, but the dealer said this one was better, so ...mistake #2. I cleaned it up and 'installed' it, being careful to torque it evenly-all went well until I heard a sickening 'crack'-you know, I broke the cast 'turbo' valve cover...so I JB welded it, and it worked for a few days, but started to leak-I went on here and got another turbo valve cover (thanks tryingbe) but until I get it (end of the week) I figured I'd go to a junkyard and just get any 2.2-2.5 valve cover-got one off a 90 Daytona 2.5 normally aspirated, and it is one of those 2 piece deals-it had a sheetmetal cover that sits over top the rocker arms, then the stamped steel cover goes over the entire mess, hopefully sealing the thing until I get my cast piece from tryingbe-it takes a 4 piece gasket, cork for the long sides and rubber on the ends-i put it together, took it for a ride, and it LEAKS WORSE than the broken cast cover????

I took it off, looked at it, and put it back on-but didn't drive it this time-it seems OK, but when I drive it and 'boost' does that 'seek out' the flaws in the seals?

Third time is a charm, when I get my new cast cover...I hope:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head:bang head

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AS of right now, I have the TBI stamped cover and under it is the formed steel cover that covers the valve assembly-I blocked the nipple near the Power steering pump with a plugged hose, and ran the Y-adapter that has the PVC to the intake and the other hose to the airbox-now if I can just cure the MASSIVE oil leak at the back of this new setup so I don't end up on some EPA superfund list...:D

· Registered
1,001 Posts
NEVER use cork gaskets on a 2.2/2.5 valve cover; it's just asking for a leak. Use the rubber end seals with a thin bead of black RTV, and RTV the front & back. You can get THOUSANDS of miles out of it without even the slightest leak.

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NEVER use cork gaskets on a 2.2/2.5 valve cover; it's just asking for a leak. Use the rubber end seals with a thin bead of black RTV, and RTV the front & back. You can get THOUSANDS of miles out of it without even the slightest leak.
I thought I was good, finally scoring the correct gasket for the valve cover that I was putting on...it is the one with the cork, leaks like there's no tomorrow-i am just gonna wait for the cast cover that's on it's way...grrrrrrr!

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
I buy the gaskets with the cork, too. As soon as I open it, I throw the cork away. Where the cork would have gone, I use a bead of black silicone. It won't leak if done like this.
^ +1

I think they just put those cork gaskets in there to mess with people:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.