Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is an '87 Shelby Lancer with the stage 2 MP computer. I'm having a boost issue. I just cleaned the engine compartment and now I am only getting consistently 5 psi of boost opposed to the 15 I had before. No visible vacuum lines are off, doesn't sound like air leaking anywhere, no codes are being tripped and I'm baffled. Anyone have any insight? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did a few tests today and found it's the wastegate solenoid. This is the first time the forum hasn't helped.. LOL. Take your solenoid off the car and spray electrical parts cleaner in all three outlets then gently tap it with the end of a screwdriver. Blow through all three outlets. I doubt it will work in all cases but it worked with mine.

·
Registered
709 Posts
haha weird. today i just found out its the solenoid. i was just comming here to post it but you beat me to it! lol mine only has 2 ports.(T1) so instead of hooking it up with the "T" like the Chilton says (vac/boost source--orifice--T--off the "t" to the wastegate actuator-- of the other side to an oricice then to the solenoid), i had to hook it up like a T2 with direct lines-- vac source--solenoid--orifice--wastegate. what was once a bleed on the solenoid is now supplying boost pressure to the wastegate actuator. i was impressed by how much it fixed, but it still didnt feel like 15 psi should. didnt read 15 on my boost gauge either. till i realized. now there is an open port on my turbo from the old line. plugged it, instant racecar (not literally, but thats how it felt to drive it... you know how it is..) :thumb:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a g-valve on my GLHS and I don't think it did anything about the spool characteristics. It felt like I had more true boost for the duration of WOT or full-boost-boogie.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts