Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, curiosity got the best of me, so I thought I'd ask this one. Way back when I had Frankie, my '89 Acclaim, it had a Bosche TBI unit. One day while trudging thru the JY, I spied a '89 LeBaron Coupe with a Holley TBI unit. Right off, I could tell the Holley unit was a beefier design. The throat looks like it has ridges in it, instead of the glassbeaded look of the Bosche. The top half is the same as the Bosche, and the Holley unit uses the same injector/AIS/TPS as the Bosche units. I kept the Holley injector for a soulvernier, as it was DOA. I left the Holley TPS and AIS motor, as they worked flawless. The throttle plate measures 49MM, as opposed to the 48MM in the Bosche, and is knife edged. I also noticed the blade opens a little farther than the Bosche at WOT, as the throttle stop is a pin instead of the molded boss like the Bosche unit. After installing it on my 2.5L NA in Frankie, I noticed a slight increase in AVE MPG on the traveller by about 2 MPG over the Bosche unit, and a smoother idle. Throttle response was about the same.

I slapped this unit on The Shadow after I did the 5-spd swap in it, and noticed that when mated with the 2.2L, it gave a little better throttle response, plus the boost in fuel economy found above. I have not been able to find another one since that day, and consider it $15 well vested.

Ok.....enough tech talk....my question is, does anyone have any info on the Holley unit, such as years used, why it was dropped, was it an option, ect. As I said before, it's identical to the Bosche unit in many aspects, but the overall construction appears more solid than the Bosche unit.

BTW....here's a pic of the 2 units side by side:

The Holley unit is on the right.:cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
im not sure which years used it but my 91 daytona i use as a circle track car has a holley unit on it. i think youre right though, the holley unit looks to be a much better piece of equipment than the bosch because i have many of both kinds. at least the holley looks better :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
i dont know any specific info on what year uses what but my 87 shadow had the holley my 93 shadow has a holley i dont know what my brothers dakota has ill have to look but ive only seen a bosch on one car and it was a 90 dodge dakota

1 - 3 of 3 Posts