Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to visit a friend that I haven't seen in about 3 years and in his back yard under a tree was a 98 Dakota Sport 5.2 Magnum. I asked him why it was sitting there and he said because a ball joint went bad and it popped while driving. I asked him if he would sell it to me and he said he would have to find out how much the pay off was on the loan he had against it. When these trucks first came out my grandfather bought one and we took it out to go fishing every friday like clockwork. I loved it and told him that I would have one some day. My buddy called me and said the pay off was $2,000.00. So, I bought it. I love this truck. When I first saw it, it was covered in grime from the tree but with a little elbow grease I got it pretty clean. It has normal dodge clear coat damage but the paint is good. My brother and I will probably wet sand and reclear it. This truck has a nice little amount of power but the torque is what I love. Someone put 4x4 wheels and tires on it. I like the wheels but hate the tires. They will be getting changed next week. I am gonna go for a nice staggered stance. I was thinking like 235/50/16's for the front and maybe 265/45/16's for the back.. The "ball joint" problem was a broken sway bar link that cost me $15.00 to fix..

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
you can buy a flashed computer, like the stage computers FWD sells for the magnum trucks including use with boost. The magnum engines are easy to find cheap blower kits for too. On the cheap the 92 318 cam and exhaust manifolds help a ton. great toy / tow rig choice

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am ahead of you.. I was talking to Ed about it and I am gonna get a 318 magnum out of the yard or something and build it to run twins. When it is done I am having a window vinyl made that says "Quicker than Lightning". The *** on the first "i" in lightning is gonna be the Ford oval. Hee hee. My buddies with lightnings will live it. Lol

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
RHS heads are dirt cheap and you can grab a steel crank from the older engines if you change the front timing cover

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I had a new 95 Dakota with the 318. Loved the truck. Sorta looking for another. It's a little plain on the inside compared to the 97+.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine is pretty plain also.. The 97+ are just not square like the older ones.

BTW: How do you know all this stuff Pope?? SCT also makes a handheld for the 97+ Dakota now. No need to buy a new PCM when you can reflash the stock one.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
Mine is pretty plain also.. The 97+ are just not square like the older ones.

BTW: How do you know all this stuff Pope?? SCT also makes a handheld for the 97+ Dakota now. No need to buy a new PCM when you can reflash the stock one.
I've built Mopars for many years, many for my dad and many of his friends. My family from all over have me help them with there builds. I've built Chevys, Fords, Olds, Jeeps etc. People see me here but I do have other car relations lol.

Mag engine is an easy one too, been playing with them a long time. Trying to get Muscle car guys to go 3.9 turbo as they all complain about mileage lol. No running a carb and 540 CID isn't going to ever not eat fuel lol

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
if you port the heads on the 5.2 that thing will GO a buddy had a dakota RT and he bought new mopar castings and had my brother port them and that thing would fly stock tune and all!

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
using the best years of parts and some intake and head work will help a lot. Then the K&N FIPK is a must. To get mileage and power that has to go on. 26-32 HP and up to 6 MPG better mileage.

in testing the RHS head with a 2.02 valve flows with the Edelbrock. But the Edelbrock is blended / ported stock. The RHS has big casting marks to remove making for a cheap head up to 300 CFM.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know what got into me John! I'm on it though. I will be consulting the pope as I do my build..

Austin, the 5.2 and 5.9 heads are the same. A friend on mine bought a truck from the factory that had both casting numbers, one on each side.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know what got into me John! I'm on it though. I will be consulting the pope as I do my build..

Austin, the 5.2 and 5.9 heads are the same. A friend on mine bought a truck from the factory that had both casting numbers, one on each side.

·
Super Moderator
6,975 Posts
I went to visit a friend that I haven't seen in about 3 years and in his back yard under a tree was a 98 Dakota Sport 5.2 Magnum. I asked him why it was sitting there and he said because a ball joint went bad and it popped while driving. I asked him if he would sell it to me and he said he would have to find out how much the pay off was on the loan he had against it. When these trucks first came out my grandfather bought one and we took it out to go fishing every friday like clockwork. I loved it and told him that I would have one some day. My buddy called me and said the pay off was $2,000.00. So, I bought it. I love this truck. When I first saw it, it was covered in grime from the tree but with a little elbow grease I got it pretty clean. It has normal dodge clear coat damage but the paint is good. My brother and I will probably wet sand and reclear it. This truck has a nice little amount of power but the torque is what I love. Someone put 4x4 wheels and tires on it. I like the wheels but hate the tires. They will be getting changed next week. I am gonna go for a nice staggered stance. I was thinking like 235/50/16's for the front and maybe 265/45/16's for the back.. The "ball joint" problem was a broken sway bar link that cost me $15.00 to fix..

it took less then a month to fall out of "love" with the truck, so much for the twin turbo 360 that makes killer h.p and still a daily driver.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
could still be a great truck, needs matiance though up to spec first it sounds like

1 - 17 of 17 Posts