Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feb 13, 10:21 am ET

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. (Reuters) - An 11-year-old Florida schoolboy was arrested and charged with sneaking on to his teacher's computer during a lunch break to change some of his grades, authorities say.
A St. Lucie County sheriff's report said the student at St. Lucie West Middle School was found by teachers to have sat down at his teacher's computer on Monday and changed five of his grades for assignments.

The sixth-grade student was booked into the St. Lucie County jail on a charge of illegally altering data in a computer, a second-degree felony, and then released to his father.

The St. Lucie school district in southeast Florida lists "the changing, erasing, removing or otherwise manipulating computer data through unauthorized entry" as one of the most serious infractions in its code of conduct.

Such offenses call for an automatic 10-day suspension and recommendation for expulsion. They must be reported to the school administrator and "may result in immediate removal of the student from the school and referral to appropriate law enforcement agency," the code says.

School Principal Helen Roberts and officials of the school board were not immediately available for comment on the case.

Ellen Mancini, an assistant state attorney in the St. Lucie County juvenile division, was quoted by the Palm Beach Post as saying she would be comfortable prosecuting the case, noting the boy could face several years in a juvenile detention facility, if convicted.

Contacted on Wednesday, Mancini said her comments had been distorted in media reports, and she declined to discuss the case.
As a teacher with student's grades on her laptop, she really should have a password on it. At work, my machine has more access than the average PC, so my screensaver locks my PC after a few minutes.....

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I can agree she needs to secure the computer better, but that does not mean the student is still not wrong for tampering with it.
What happen to the good old days where if you even though about touching another persons materials you risk loss of life (well a goot spanking anyway) Kids these days arent taught right from wrong due to lax disipline.
While expulsion is a bit much maybe something must be done so this child learns from the incorrect act they performed.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Ali N I said:
I can agree she needs to secure the computer better, but that does not mean the student is still not wrong for tampering with it.
What happen to the good old days where if you even though about touching another persons materials you risk loss of life (well a goot spanking anyway) Kids these days arent taught right from wrong due to lax disipline.
While expulsion is a bit much maybe something must be done so this child learns from the incorrect act they performed.
Agreed.

P.S. I love the reflective shot in your sig. :x

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Sounds like that school needs Windows 2000 Professional! We have that at work and you can lock your desktop when you're away.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
spdracr said:
Sounds like that school needs Windows 2000 Professional! We have that at work and you can lock your desktop when you're away.
They've actually had that since Windows 3.1 (maybe earlier...)

I agree that an unlocked computer does not mean free access, but, unfortunately, in our society, it's come down to having to lock everything all the time.... :\ :\

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I used to have at school with the computers. Was able to get in several time and change things Like the the bell schedule. I've never had such short classes. Change a few other things like the lights going on and off at random. Securing the locker room doors with the magnets (no one in and no one out).

Lots of fun. NEVER CAUGHT THOUGH. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts