Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished installing a Mitsubishi te04h turbo on an 87 Dodge Daytona Turbo I with the original draw through throttle body and it is smoking badly. Plugs are oil fouled which were clean before the change. Oil return on the new turbo is 1/2 inch. Is this too small? Can the Mitsubishi turbo be used in a draw through setup? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

PS: Turbo is brand new, not rebuilt

-Dan-

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's the compression numbers?
Compression is fine, engine was rebuilt 5,000 miles ago and there was not a problem with the original Garrett turbo. No oil burning before change. Just trying out the Mitsubishi Turbo to see how it will run.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
1.2" return? Is that I.D. or O.D.? Is this something you manufactured to get the turbo to fit? Seems to me that the factory oil return is quite a bit larger than that. With a new turbo, and no history of smoke from the engine, I would be very suspect of this return.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot for the help guys, a larger oil return completely fixed the problem. If anyone else makes their own oil return line, 1/2 inch is too small. Also, I found out that Mobil 1 oil burns white, not blue:D.

-Dan-

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not really a downgrade per se, I only run 12 Pounds of boost and it's a Daily driver, so the fast spool is nice :D. Also, the mitsu's turbine is ported to flow just as good as the stock garret at high RPMS, so I notice no loss of power at high RPM's. I can post pictures of the port soon! The mitsu deserves more respect than it recieves, based upon my first impressions after the switch.

-Dan-

·
Registered
6 Posts
post please. im very interested. im running a te04h on my honda 1.6L and it spools up like nothing! would be nice to get a larger power band out of the plentiful little guy... (hell im building a turbo sohc 1.6L... can anyone say underdog? hehe)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, here are some pictures of the porting.

This is the ported mitsu

This is the original Garrett turbo. Notice that while the port is more centered than the mitsu, it is actually the same size or slightly smaller.

The turbo is still working well in the pull through setup, the smoking was definitely caused by the small oil return line that was on the turbo when I first started it. Any other questions? Just ask!

-Dan-

·
Registered
147 Posts
looks as if you took a deburr roll gun and just sanded the inside of the housing. thats not porting. also the garrett is still quite a bit bigger. screw spool up time. it's just the turbo's way of saying "you sure you wanna do this?"

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
looks as if you took a deburr roll gun and just sanded the inside of the housing. thats not porting. also the garrett is still quite a bit bigger. screw spool up time. it's just the turbo's way of saying "you sure you wanna do this?"
:rofl2: priceless!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Believe it or not, a lot of metal was taken out with a burr, not just sanding with a cartridge roll. I know what porting is. If you choose not to believe me, thats fine, but I thought I would just post some info out there that seems to contradict the norm. I cannot vouch for these turbos in their stock form in the '88 and up cars, but in my situation, it made a big difference. I'm running a modest 12 PSI in a daily driver, not going for top horsepower to drag race. 0-45MPH times are much faster with this turbo, which is what the car does all the time, it's a daily driver.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Believe it or not, a lot of metal was taken out with a burr, not just sanding with a cartridge roll. I know what porting is. If you choose not to believe me, thats fine, but I thought I would just post some info out there that seems to contradict the norm. I cannot vouch for these turbos in their stock form in the '88 and up cars, but in my situation, it made a big difference. I'm running a modest 12 PSI in a daily driver, not going for top horsepower to drag race. 0-45MPH times are much faster with this turbo, which is what the car does all the time, it's a daily driver.
i understand its a daily but i was just saying it looks as if you just deburred the inside of the exhaust side. just smoothed it out. nothing big. which is not porting. now if you took a carbide end mill and actually took away material then that is porting.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i understand its a daily but i was just saying it looks as if you just deburred the inside of the exhaust side. just smoothed it out. nothing big. which is not porting. now if you took a carbide end mill and actually took away material then that is porting.
Thats what I did. There is no way I would have put the turbo on the car in its stock form, it had a very small port. On this turbo there was a fairly large lump of iron on the bottom and left side that I was able to open up greatly, I then sanded the entire port with a cartridge roll to make everything smooth and minimize turbulence. The air has a much more direct path (straight) than it would have had originally.

-Dan-

1 - 17 of 17 Posts