Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday while making a left turn my drivers side axle made the most horrible sound for a second ..... but it brought me home. Then in the driveway I hit the gas to see if it woudl do it again, and sure enough grind bang grind bang bang . I knew something was bad wrong, so I pulled it into my field. Only to see plenty of fluid coming out of the tranny case. Fortuneately, it initally looks like since the axle came apart at the inner CV joint it isn't tranny. Just the fluid cam out because the axle jerked awayfrom the tranny and opened up the seal.

SO anyone know if I can use a 89 Lebaron axle on the drivers side? It woudl be helpful to get it out of the field. ~~Heath

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I really don't think you can, Heath. I think that Omni's and Minivans are the only ones where the axles won't swap between all the cars.

d

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DAMMIT! Why do I own the only 2 friggin' dodge turbo vehicles with car-specific parts!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ! me---> :bash: <------me

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Subliminal said:
I really don't think you can, Heath. I think that Omni's and Minivans are the only ones where the axles won't swap between all the cars.

d

Thanks anyway. Now I just have to find a way to hide the fact from the wife that I'll be buying an axle for the van. :( ~~H

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I almost was going to say I'd send you a pair for shipping, but i remembered i stuck them in the back of the van when i gave it away.

Good luck though! Maybe a JY?

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, local J yard should have plenty, but I think I am going new or remanned since I drag race it. ~~H

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
Kid Doc said:
Thanks, local J yard should have plenty, but I think I am going new or remanned since I drag race it. ~~H

Be very careful when getting rebuilt units, sometimes they are boxed wrong and are car axles. Make sure to measure before you install it, vans are aprox 1 inch longer. If you popped an axle, check your engine is centered and your mounts are worn out. You will blow another one if you dont' find out why it came apart as the only way the inner comes apart is if there's not enough travel!

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
turbovanman said:
Be very careful when getting rebuilt units, sometimes they are boxed wrong and are car axles. Make sure to measure before you install it, vans are aprox 1 inch longer. If you popped an axle, check your engine is centered and your mounts are worn out. You will blow another one if you dont' find out why it came apart as the only way the inner comes apart is if there's not enough travel!
Absolutely will-do. Gonna get a new axle and check to see if it is centered. All you have to do is pull off the bolts, and push in the axles to see if they push in the same amount, right? If not, move the motor right/left until they do plunge evenly. Right? The mounts are new, although I REALLY Need to put in a bobble strut with this 5 speed...... maybe that's what did it in. ~~H

1 - 10 of 10 Posts