Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best buisness idea ever!!! Have a mechanics shop where you have hoists and tools and you let people work on their own vehicles for money... You could also have mechanics for helping people and this would be for like kinda simple stuff you get super ripped off for getting done now Adays like changing a water pump or serpentine belt I also thing changing tires and oil would be good too

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definately thought of that on my own... Too bad it turns out their is a shop in Edmonton that already does exactly that for $18 an hpur

·
Administrator
10,179 Posts
It would be an insurance nightmare. Every worker would have to sign a waiver of liability, stating any injury is of the workers own fault.

The only problem with this is if you use their tools, they are liable for any injury caused by said equipment, so upkeep on that stuff would be crazy. There would have to be personal inpsections of all equipment, tools used, etc, and a release signed on that as well. Because if you break the shops 350 dollar snap-on torque wrench cause you think its a breaker bar.......great in theory, but a big cluster**** in the end for the shop and you.

Better off finding a car buddy with a garage, and going half on tools you need that are too combersome to rent.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
yea, and even if people sign a waiver they could still sue and maybe win... not worth the headache. Down here 3 guys got together and rented a 2500 shop for like $800 month. They have all their cars, tools, etc there. They wrench on their own stuff in their free time and they do a couple of side jobs a month to pay for the place...

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
there has been rent a spot to work places since shortly after the invention of the automobile - both / either mech or body

not a new idea - at least not new anytime in the last hundred years

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Soon after I moved to Richmond a place like that opened, that was 20 years ago. It' didn't last. The building is now home to 4 small shops. I believe the military has shops like that at the forts. I know Ft Lee has one.

·
Administrator
24,989 Posts
You are 25 years behind.
We already had that in Christine, were do you think Arnie and Christine bonded...
Darnells JY and Auto Repair.
To quote Darnell...
"This place is for workin stiffs to keep their cars running, not some punk kids"

BTW...
Greatest relationship EVER!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,975 Posts
the theory is good, but yet just another "get rich quick without working" scheme
the thought of doing something like that is good but wouldnt work out, what would happen when a "simple job" turned into a "the car no longer runs and is stuck on the lift" things now you have a bay that is no longer making money, or your going to have to charge the car owner for the bay time(justifable but will be looked upon as crappy to say the least) either way your gonna lose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts