Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The struts for the rear bumper on my 1985 Dodge Daytona are SHOT, and I’m wondering if I should take the effort to try and rebuild them, make my own, or if there’s ones online that I can buy.
It’s not something really going to be seen, but if there’s ones available for purchase, I might snag them to save the effort.
Here’s a picture if you don’t know what I’m talking about. The one shown is the better of the two. The other one is flexing and has several rot holes.

Sleeve Wood Street fashion Gas Asphalt

Watch Automotive tire Gesture Asphalt Road surface

·
Registered
224 Posts
The absorbers are Mopar part number 4334195. Very difficult to find. I needed a pair of these a few years ago for my Sundance when some inattentive kid rear-ended my son.

Finally located a clean Sundance in northern California via the Row 52 site. I think I paid about $150.00 shipped for the two absorbers and the metal bumper/fascia reinforcement. They were, of course, very clean, so just gave them a clean-up and a coat of paint:

Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior Wood Vehicle door

While yours are a bit crispy, they look like they still have some life. I'd give them a sandblast (or thorough wire brush treatment), then treat the rust (with Extend or similar) and prime/paint.

Not ideal, but these are very, very hard-to-find.

All the best.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The absorbers are Mopar part number 4334195. Very difficult to find. I needed a pair of these a few years ago for my Sundance when some inattentive kid rear-ended my son.

Finally located a clean Sundance in northern California via the Row 52 site. I think I paid about $150.00 shipped for the two absorbers and the metal bumper/fascia reinforcement. They were, of course, very clean, so just gave them a clean-up and a coat of paint:

View attachment 278235

While yours are a bit crispy, they look like they still have some life. I'd give them a sandblast (or thorough wire brush treatment), then treat the rust (with Extend or similar) and prime/paint.

Not ideal, but these are very, very hard-to-find.

All the best.

Thanks for the info. One of them is bending and has metal falling off, so I’ll see what I can do. I could possibly sand blast then re-weld it.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
use this for a search: "rear bumper assy" as loads of yards show it in stock

also you can put in Laser also as the part is the same

call to see if they will separate the part you want from the bumper!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
use this for a search: "rear bumper assy" as loads of yards show it in stock

also you can put in Laser also as the part is the same

call to see if they will separate the part you want from the bumper!!!!!!!!!
Do you know if they’re the same as what’s used on the Omni of that Era or other similar bodies? At a pick n pull near me, there’s a fully intact Omni

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
K-cars and G-bodies are the only ones that use that particular part number.
That’s unfortunate. That’s the only dodge from that era there- there might’ve been a K car now that I think about it;

SN, I decided to clean up the ones I had. The difference is definitely noticeable. The Driver’s Side one is paper thin. I didn’t even bother cleaning it up all the way. Too far gone, I think. The other one I pained, but it’s probably beat I just replace both.
Red Rectangle Cylinder Tints and shades Font

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
I gave up trying to find a pair for my Daytona, and ended up building my own. It won't survive a crash, but it's strong enough to stand on.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I gave up trying to find a pair for my Daytona, and ended up building my own. It won't survive a crash, but it's strong enough to stand on.

This is awesome. I think it might be a little different on the 84-86 models. However, seeing it all ripped apart on yours, they look more similar than I thought. I've got like an 89(?) Daytona EFI as a parts car, and I've literally gotten nothing on it. Anyone have a picture of the stock ones standalone on the 87+?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is awesome. I think it might be a little different on the 84-86 models. However, seeing it all ripped apart on yours, they look more similar than I thought. I've got like an 89(?) Daytona EFI as a parts car, and I've literally gotten nothing on it. Anyone have a picture of the stock ones standalone on the 87+?
OK so (as a follow-up to my last post,) this was likely common knowledge for most experienced. But for those who don't know the Shock absorbers are NOT the same on the 84-86 G-Body, 87-91 G-Body, and 92-93 G-Body. I imagine this was either just because the cars had to comply with new safety standards, cost, or even just design (though from first glance the 2nd generation and the 3rd generation aren't too different.)

I circled the info to help people in the future.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1984-1986 Rear Bumper Shock Absorber, G-Body, 4334 195, (important info circled in blue)
Rectangle Slope Font Triangle Parallel

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1987-1991 Rear Bumper Shock Absorber, G-Body, 4334 597, (important info circled in red)
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Triangle

1992-1993 Rear Bumper Shock Absorber, G-Body, 5263 324, (important info circled in purple)
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

I hope this saves someone some time if in the future they need this info.

I'm still going to take the other ones off the parts EFI car because I might be able to make some Frankenstein shock absorbers, blending the best of both.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts