Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first start my 86 Omni GLHT from cold, the idle speed fluctuates so much for the first minute or two, that many times it stalls. I thought it was my AIS motor "hunting", but I disconnected the electrical connector and it still happened. I noticed that the Baro Solenoid was causing this idle speed fluctuation. I read in the service manual that the Baro solenoid is actuated periodically at closed throttle every 30 seconds or so.

If I try to bypass the vacuum signal directly to the MAP sensor, what are the ramifications?

I hate the way it idles...
Mike

·
Registered
13,525 Posts
Have you check your cam timing and spark timing and make sure they are correct? Don't assume, check! Check your compression as well.

1) Chrysler uses the map sensor to check outside air pressure using the baro read solenoid, basically it just exposes the map sensor line to outside air for a second to take a reading. Some years the computer checked while the car was on a decel when the throttle was closed and some checked when you turned the ignition key right before cranking.

DDG- Port fuel injection & calibrations

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
it kinda needs that solenoid so it can take baro readings. if you were to bypass it, you would find the car running even worse. the solenoid is only supposed to open when the engine isnt running, or when the throttle is closed AND the engine in overrun (coasting in gear). if it is opening at idle there is something seriously wrong.

·
Administrator
25,749 Posts
The controller will not be able to update atmospheric pressure without the Baro solenoid which is critical for fuel control on a turbo engine.If bypassed/disconnected a code 37 will be set and the light will be on and the vehicle will run in failure.
Be sure you do not have a vacuum problem,16-20"HG at idle to the baro and from baro to map.
Any fault codes set?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts