Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Caliper paint?

954 views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  iTurbo 
#1 ·
I'm wanting to paint the calipers and a few other brake system parts on my Omni GLH before putting it all together. I remember Derek Beland (D-Cal) had a web page on his brake system overhaul, but that page is long gone.

Can anybody recommend a good paint to use that is suitable for the calipers, adapter brackets, and rotor hats? I will definately go either black or silver. I just want something durable and hopefully make it easier to clean brake dust and grease off.

#5 ·
For what it's worth, I've used various brands of engine paint (the hi-temp stuff in spraycans) to paint calipers, drums, and rotor-hats for years.
It holds up just fine as long as you start with a clean surface (wipe down with lacquer thinner and allow to fully air-dry) and keep brake fluid off of it.
You're just painting cast iron, no need to overthink it!
:thumb:

#9 ·
Shadow16V said:
I just finished painting the new calipes on my Shadow with the Dupli-color caliper paint system. I've seen it in Silver, Red, Yellow and Black. I used the Silver. Seems to cover nice, I have no idea how well it will hold up though.
Here's a link to some pics of my calipers with Dupli-color. I know they are a bit ricey. Anyway the paint did not hold up very well. I'm not complete sure why, but it might have been because I was in a hurry to get them on the car. They are also difficult to keep clean. I wouldn't recomment unless you have a week to let them cure.

http://www.sax4sale.com/glht/#Brakes

#10 ·
I did mine with Hi-temp German brand caliper spray, and the left over on my Springs when i lowered the car recently. All have a hard baked on looking semi gloss finish...very decent. See my cardomain site username "desertsnake1991" I think I have some pics of just the paint addition. Looks great peeking thru the Pumpers, andnothing Ricey about it...M3's, Vettes, they all have it...main thing is like they are saying above is have them clean first. I mega sprayed them with mag wheel spray, and then hi pressure hosed them off. Then wire brushed tough spots down, then brake cleaner spray, the water sprayed again. Then masked everything that I didnt want "red", and voila! done!Its 87% prep...rest is good paint. Almost a year old, looks like I did it yesterday.

#13 ·
saxhouse said:
Here's a link to some pics of my calipers with Dupli-color. I know they are a bit ricey. Anyway the paint did not hold up very well. I'm not complete sure why, but it might have been because I was in a hurry to get them on the car. They are also difficult to keep clean. I wouldn't recomment unless you have a week to let them cure.

http://www.sax4sale.com/glht/#Brakes

I was thinking about getting the VHT spray-on caliper paint in gold, but I decided to get the Duplicolor caliper paint kit in silver. Checker only had it in red and yellow so I had to order it from NAPA. I'll be painting four reman (very clean) calipers so I hope it holds up well. Anybody have any tips on using this stuff?

#17 ·
What parts of the caliper should be taped off before painting? I have four new calipers to paint. It seems to me I should tape off the piston and boot seal, slider pin boots, bleeder fitting, brake line port boss, and the 'fingers' that contact the rail on the caliper adapters (or back plate in the case of rear discs). Am I missing anything? What about the inside surface of the caliper that contacts the backside of the brake pad?

#18 ·
OK, the instructions that came with the Duplicolor Caliper Paint Kit are pretty clear on what to tape off. Will it be OK to paint the rotor hats with this? The box says not to use it on braking surfaces such as rotors, drums, pads or shoes. It seems the rotor hat would be safe to paint though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.