Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ill be moving from Georgia to California. Im planning on taking my 1989 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5 Turbo (Ill be selling my 1984 Chrysler Laser XE before I move). I want to know if I bump up the exhaust size, will that cause me an issue in CA? A "build" up to 15 psi requires a jump to 2.5". Thats what Im looking at doing. I just want to know if CA and theyre carb crap is going to give me trouble. =Thanks for any assistance or suggestions

·
Legendary Driver
10,904 Posts
It's all gotta look and function like stock. So Cat and Muffler. I don't know if they'll do a decibel test at the test station when you get it smogged. Though a 2.5" with a cat and a magnaflow muffler shouldn't fail the test as they're really mellow. I'd buy the FWDP kit as it's a cake to install in that size.

Same goes with the intake side. No big exposed cone filters. I'd have to ask if they'd let a factory non-intercooled car get away with an intercooler.

where it California? The south side has some pretty active and knowledgeable TD' people. There's people in the north too but they're really scattered.

Last time I was there was with my 87 ShelbyZ with a 2.5 and 3" straight pipe side exit. What wasn't loud in the car at all and tolerable outside of it in Wa state echoed and reverberated off every piece of concrete down there so much even I thought it was way way too loud. I had 6 Orange County Sheriffs trying to hunt me down driving through the hills one night around 130am. We were done and on our way out as one passed me and before he could make the 6pt turn to come get me I was off that road and home a couple blocks away. Friend left and the 6 of them were down at the school. I swear by the magnaflows now. They sound great and don't kill flow. Straight pipe is fun but get's you noticed A LOT!

good luck, Cali is a Nazi state meant to drain every last piece of soul and money out of you for what they deem as the good of the people. Oregon and Wa aren't too far behind.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Curious if you're still running a stock Mitsu Turbo on the 2.5 T Acclaim??

The times I ran a free flowing exhaust on a Mitsu, boost control was an issue.

It would zoom past 15 psi and hit overboost shutdown in about 2 seconds!!

I ended up placing a restriction on the tailpipe in order to control boost.

Seems the wastegate is too small in many cases so the result is overboost.

A Garrett is great on a 2.5 as boost is easily controlled with free exhaust.

Best of luck in your new venture to the land of reported "outdoor washrooms"!!

Hopefully you won't end up in one of those locations.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
50 Posts
You'll be fine with the 2.5" exhaust, cat and muffler from FWDP or Turbosunleashed. FWDPF's cat is closer to stock cat length though. I've put one in my Shelby Lancer, and the smog guy didn't call me on it. It just has to look as close to stock to pass the visual, for those test stations that take a look.

·
Registered
153 Posts
No exposed BOV. LIke has been said, has to look stock. Many years ago I put a 2.2 TII in my rampage. Failed the smog because of the vacuum block I had installed. "not stock" was the answer. They'd rather you have plastic bs fittings than brass! If it wasn't stock with IC it won't pass visual. I run a 3" full exhaust with cat, no muffler not an issue.
Good luck

·
Registered
96 Posts
Is it true that in California they won't let you drive if your car if it's modified or are there certain mods that are a no-no? Does it need to have certain smog equipment in order to be qualified for registration there?

I'm pretty sure that my car wouldn't be legal in California because NOTHING about my car is stock, it got converted from a carb to fuel injection resulting in lower emissions and better fuel economy now. My ride also went from a 4 lug nut pattern to a 5. The emissions label on my car mentions USEPA regulations but not California standards.

·
Registered
153 Posts
FWIW. I converted my rampage to T2 status. It was originally a california car. I had to take it to smog referee. For smog purposes its listed as an '89 (that is the year of the motor I swapped). They checked that all emissions related junk was correct for a stock 89 T2 motor. I also have 5 lug rims (not an issue with the state). You can register a (49 state) out of calif vehicle as long as it has 7500 miles on the odo. They MAY require you to put it back to the stock config for what ever year the FI motor is. Not sure what mods you have.

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS; 1989 Shelby CSX
188 Posts
It's all gotta look and function like stock. So Cat and Muffler. I don't know if they'll do a decibel test at the test station when you get it smogged. Though a 2.5" with a cat and a magnaflow muffler shouldn't fail the test as they're really mellow.

where it California? The south side has some pretty active and knowledgeable TD' people. There's people in the north too but they're really scattered.

good luck, Cali is a Nazi state meant to drain every last piece of soul and money out of you for what they deem as the good of the people. Oregon and Wa aren't too far behind.
Just want to add has to be stock Cat. Some smog stations will look at the numbers on the Cat to make sure that it is the correct one for the car. One of my cars passed visual and had excellent values on the treadmill. But the Cat on it was the incorrect model for my car, so they failed my car, labeling it as the Emission System had been "Tampered".

My former GLHS passed smog with a 2.5" and Cat. The smog shop kindly "omitted to notice" that there was no a muffler. I have never heard of a decibel test ever at a smog station. I did get some glaring stares from parked Cops while passing them tho, even while driving well within the speed limit.

That is correct that most of the Cali TD folks are in SoCal. Very few of us left north of Fresno. It's been several years since I've seen another TD on the road in NorCal.

I agree. Cali is a Nazi State, intent on legislating every old car off the road. Example: K-Cars are nearly extinct because CARB pushed their smog max limits to value readings that are lower than the standards these cars were designed to meet when they were sold new. And if you have a pre-smog car older than 1976, they will get you in other ways such as wanting $142 for registration renewal on my 1965 Olds. 25-years ago, that same car was $38. And let's not get on the subject of expensive car insurance premiums.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts