Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ill be moving from Georgia to California. Im planning on taking my 1989 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5 Turbo (Ill be selling my 1984 Chrysler Laser XE before I move). I want to know if I bump up the exhaust size, will that cause me an issue in CA? A "build" up to 15 psi requires a jump to 2.5". Thats what Im looking at doing. I just want to know if CA and theyre carb crap is going to give me trouble. =Thanks for any assistance or suggestions

·
Legendary Driver
10,889 Posts
It's all gotta look and function like stock. So Cat and Muffler. I don't know if they'll do a decibel test at the test station when you get it smogged. Though a 2.5" with a cat and a magnaflow muffler shouldn't fail the test as they're really mellow. I'd buy the FWDP kit as it's a cake to install in that size.

Same goes with the intake side. No big exposed cone filters. I'd have to ask if they'd let a factory non-intercooled car get away with an intercooler.

where it California? The south side has some pretty active and knowledgeable TD' people. There's people in the north too but they're really scattered.

Last time I was there was with my 87 ShelbyZ with a 2.5 and 3" straight pipe side exit. What wasn't loud in the car at all and tolerable outside of it in Wa state echoed and reverberated off every piece of concrete down there so much even I thought it was way way too loud. I had 6 Orange County Sheriffs trying to hunt me down driving through the hills one night around 130am. We were done and on our way out as one passed me and before he could make the 6pt turn to come get me I was off that road and home a couple blocks away. Friend left and the 6 of them were down at the school. I swear by the magnaflows now. They sound great and don't kill flow. Straight pipe is fun but get's you noticed A LOT!

good luck, Cali is a Nazi state meant to drain every last piece of soul and money out of you for what they deem as the good of the people. Oregon and Wa aren't too far behind.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Curious if you're still running a stock Mitsu Turbo on the 2.5 T Acclaim??

The times I ran a free flowing exhaust on a Mitsu, boost control was an issue.

It would zoom past 15 psi and hit overboost shutdown in about 2 seconds!!

I ended up placing a restriction on the tailpipe in order to control boost.

Seems the wastegate is too small in many cases so the result is overboost.

A Garrett is great on a 2.5 as boost is easily controlled with free exhaust.

Best of luck in your new venture to the land of reported "outdoor washrooms"!!

Hopefully you won't end up in one of those locations.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
48 Posts
You'll be fine with the 2.5" exhaust, cat and muffler from FWDP or Turbosunleashed. FWDPF's cat is closer to stock cat length though. I've put one in my Shelby Lancer, and the smog guy didn't call me on it. It just has to look as close to stock to pass the visual, for those test stations that take a look.

·
Registered
138 Posts
No exposed BOV. LIke has been said, has to look stock. Many years ago I put a 2.2 TII in my rampage. Failed the smog because of the vacuum block I had installed. "not stock" was the answer. They'd rather you have plastic bs fittings than brass! If it wasn't stock with IC it won't pass visual. I run a 3" full exhaust with cat, no muffler not an issue.
Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts