Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this thing just pound on? Is that all I do with this thing? (black boot on driver side of camshaft)

·
Registered
450 Posts
88BlueShelbyZ said:
Does this thing just pound on? Is that all I do with this thing? (black boot on driver side of camshaft)

Yes. I use anaerobic sealer on it, helps glue it in place. The sealing surface needs to be clean and dry for the sealer to work.

·
Registered
617 Posts
do yourself a favor and drill a hole in your throttle body bracket to alighn with the center of the cam seal and install a bolt. leave as little space as possible but don't let the bolt touch it. i think i used a stainless 1 1/4" long bolt and lock nut. i lost a engine cause that stupid thing poped out.

·
Registered
450 Posts
88BlueShelbyZ said:
What the heck is "anaerobic sealer"?

Anaerobic sealer cures in the absence of air. I use Loctite gasket eliminator 518.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
88BlueShelbyZ said:
i have an extra one sitting around if u would want to buy it
pm me if so
Justin

·
Registered
1989 Dodge Shadow 2.5 non turbo 3 speed automatic
111 Posts
When I did mine I popped the end cap on the cam shaft of put a thick bead of rtv on the cap and tighten the cam cap back down while holding the cap in. It wanted to shoot out for some reason.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I put a thick rtv bead on the cap, I opened the end cap of the cam shaft and while holding the cap, I squeezed the cam cap down again.

·
Administrator
25,053 Posts
Do Not use RTV.

The proper way to install the Cam Cap is to use a non-hardening sealer on the outer edge of the cam cap (or any seal for that matter) such as Permatex Aviation Cement or Permatex #2.
Not only does this help hold the cam cap/seal in place it also fills any small imperfections in the housing or seal body itself.

Engine Compartment Left Side-2014.JPG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts