Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay the cover on the cam gears. Can the car be operated safely if that cover is left off. I would like to dress the engine up some (tuner style, not old classic style), and was thinking of exposing them.

any downsides to this

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I have mine off because they just wont fit with my cam gears, but it is a *very* bad idea for a daily driver. Any moisture or debris gets in there and you can kiss your valvetrain goodbye!

Brad

·
Registered
726 Posts
If you are just leaving the top cover off.

It is up out of the way of road dirt and splashing, ... due to its closeness to the passenger side of the frame. Just tie-wrap and secure all the lines and hoses that are near the rotating cams and keep your fingers away and you should be fine.

Brad is correct, ... if anything solid gets in there it would damage or break the belt. 8*

Bob

http://www.bstockum.com

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Mark1 said:
I would say try it! There are to many Imports running around with them open for it to be to hazardous. But you cant get to mad now that you have been warned that it is possable to kill the motor by doing this. Best of luck.
You are forgetting the fact that it is much easier to fix a borken belt in a Honda than it is in the PT....
I woudl not suggest removing the cover unless you have to, or if you only drive it occasioanlly.

Brad

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'm still hoping there's someway to fabricate a top cover to be able to install the adjustable gears..... not hurry but when I go to next step with my engine !

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Ideally I'd like clear plexiglass cover so gears could be seen yet protected. Even if it was "squared" off I think it'd do the task !

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
bstockum said:
Why don't we make a plug / (mold) and vacu-form a Lexan cover like Flashie said!!

Hmmmm, .... 8-|
Fabricate me a template out of aluminum, and I'll make it out of Carbon Fiber instead :) Now that would rock!

Brad

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hey Brad..Bob

..that sounds like a great plan..
..........are you going for it??
I for one would be interested to "defray" your costs!!

Kojak
:)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Powertrip said:

Fabricate me a template out of aluminum, and I'll make it out of Carbon Fiber instead :) Now that would rock!

Brad
what do you want the mold made of. and where do you get the cf from. i cannot find a good distributor for it only fiberglass stuff but not good selection on carbon fiber stuff

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I have many suppliers for pure Carbon weave, as well as Carbon/Kevlar hybrids. I have done all sorts of custom fabrication with both materials.... Not that tough to do, but the chemicals (epoxy ester resins) are unreal! The stank!

Brad

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hey Brad..I'll do ya a deal!!

Swap you a gear cover for...
....just finished working on an idea for a Flashing lighted sign that flashes "PT"..in whatever color...it also has 5 variations of sequencing.. |)

Kojak :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts