Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok sooo here is some info to help with the question, i have a 88 t2 bottom end with a 87 head with a 89 or 90 tbi cam, my question is where do i have to have the cam set to make it run good, and would having the cam set wrong do anything that would be weird other than low vacuum becuse its kinda low lol:eek: i should ad its set to stock timming right now, it doesnt have great vacuum at the moment i am wondering if this might have some effect on compression # also?

·
Premium Member
4,343 Posts
If you don't have an adjustable cam gear, try advancing the cam one tooth and see if that helps. If you do have one try advancing 4degrees at a time. Retarded timing will take longer to spool the turbo,but should come on pretty strong after about 4500rpm.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
people run the TBI up to 4 degrees advanced to try and add WHP. A tooth I believe is about 8 degrees ahead and you need to add 4 degrees to get where you need to be as your 4 behind right now.

adjustible pulley, then 4+ added
try a tooth ahead, 4 degrees total when done
HO cam pulley, made to deal with a shorter block will advance your timing.
offset cam keys to advance the cam.

I added a roller from a 90 to my 87. It was a pig afterwards and the 314 had ate a lobe too lol.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I was reading the other day about some of this in an old 2.2 FWD performance book I dug out. I will try to scan and post the pages referring to this in some ways. I thought it said there were 40 teeth on the cam sprocket. Contrary to what I've seen on the forums, this would equate into 9*/tooth. I never actually counted myself. there are also several different gears, all keyed differently for 2.2, 2.2T, and 2.5, all with different cam advancements.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
just so happens I have a nos MP multy slot square tooth pulley I'm never gonna need .....
LMAO, got one of those for free and brand new MP 10mm bolts along with some other stuff from my machine shop friend. Some body was going to build a NA 2.2 and never came back for the stuff after years

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well I stand corrected on the cam gears after re-reading, but my book is from 1988, and doesn't even cover all that you're using. Are the duration and spring pressures acceptable? Was this head redone or just one "known as good", valves and all.

Won my book at the Mopar Nationals, the first year I went. Between my cousin and myself, we average over 1 prize a year. He even won the give away car one year in Indy, a '72 Demon!

·
Registered
271 Posts
just so happens I have a nos MP multy slot square tooth pulley I'm never gonna need .....
I may be interested in that pulley if you are looking to get rid of it. I will have to contact the person I am building a motor for, but I am going to be in need of either a set of keys or a pulley like this. I can't use an adjustable pulley because the class this engine is being raced in requires "
stock appearing".

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Well I stand corrected on the cam gears after re-reading, but my book is from 1988, and doesn't even cover all that you're using. Are the duration and spring pressures acceptable? Was this head redone or just one "known as good", valves and all.

Won my book at the Mopar Nationals, the first year I went. Between my cousin and myself, we average over 1 prize a year. He even won the give away car one year in Indy, a '72 Demon!
those books are geared for NA people not turbo people. Turbos and FI back then was unknown. Only a few at the factory working with them knew how to build the computers, same people couldn't build an engine though. Today a lot more is known about the mixing of parts and turbo building. The old Mopar 1-800 line told me 14 PSI would shatter my bottom end like glass...

·
Super Moderator
11,857 Posts
ya , a buddy bought a copy back in the early 90's - I spent a night or two reading it and finished thinkin I was glad he'd paid for it and not me as we both had turbo L body's at the time

·
Super Moderator
11,857 Posts
nope

bashin the people who stoped building them

bashin the people who sent the same tech sheet press release to the media year after year

bashin the people who said year after year "maybe we'll build V8 daytonas -- next year"

bashin the people who droped the parts for our cars

bashin the people who wanna get paid everytime someone says m-o-p-a-r

bashin the people who quit on their customers again and again

bashin the people who don't realize the enthuasists do more for them than any over paid marketing department ever could

but most of all -

bashin the people who put super bee stripes on a freekin pick up truck

I absolutely love my mopars but I so hate the chrysler "copereration"

most of all though I will bash the people who wanna shove fiats down our throats and try tellin us it ain't s--t

the guy who runs fiat is from here in toronto
shortly after gm closed a plant here in oshawa our premier(gov) of ontario said on the news that night "we're in talks with fiat"

from what I've heard he and the guy that run fiat are buddies - and have been since they were in school

smell a rat ?

it stinks up here I can tell ya that

sorry for the enormous heap of thread crap

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
lol well thats a kinda good point i like mid 90's and older mopars nothing past 96 is a mopar more a sad sight! but yes massive threadd poop
not true, the PT is the last true Mopar, Mopar body, Mopar engine and Mopar trans:thumb:

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
not true, the PT is the last true Mopar, Mopar body, Mopar engine and Mopar trans:thumb:
i was refering to thing i can afford :p i am poor after all haha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts