Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im finally doing my total t3 rebuild, been doing some research and using ideas from when i was a mustang guy. i am getting the new cams in a few days from lone wolf throught fwd, and i was looking at the cam journals and on the head and remembered that once i had built a 5.0 with rollor or anti friction bearings, proved to work really well too. I told Cindy at fwd thought it was a good idea i just have to line bore the head and find the correct bearings. Well apperantly someone has done this and i was just trying to quickly find out the bearings to use and if it worked well. If any one could help thanks, and any other tips on my rebuild on the car includding weight reduction could help alot, but im in no rush stuck on the USS Enterprise for most my time in Newport News any way, thanks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Roller cam bearings would be pretty trick but may just end up adding extra parts to fail in a valve train that already has plenty of "issues" already.

Now machining the head for plain bearings would be great , simple and replacable incase they are damaged.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
but im in no rush stuck on the USS Enterprise for most my time in Newport News any way, thanks.

I guess your at the NNSY. I'm down there(area) Mon-Fri. There are a bunch of guys around here that are into these cars.

Wayne

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where are these guys at? I could use all the help i can get. And im new to the area, the only ones i know is the eastern va shelby club. But it is true i do see some old daytonas and chargers running around town. Ill look into some regular bearings but i dont think the rollor would have any problems, and since im re-doing the valve train with a bunch of custom crap for reliability. thanks

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
!/4 mile time off catapult

Maybe when you get to sea, They can have happy day and launch a few Yuogs off the catapults. (USS America Now a rusting hulk) (CIC, Christ I'm Confused, scope dope, Voice of Alpha Whiskey)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Where are these guys at? I could use all the help i can get. And im new to the area, the only ones i know is the eastern va shelby club.

There are a few that work for the Newport News Shipyard. We usually meet on a Fri night at the pizza hut on the corner of jefferson ave & mercury Blvd.

Wayne

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yes, I currently have a head I'm planning to go this route on too, and have a friend of a friend who has done it, but I don't know the specifics. It would seem to make a lot more sense to oversize the head and insert a bearing that brings it back to factory, rather than hone the head and undersize the scored journals on the cam. At least this wouldn't lock you into an exact camshaft forever forward.

The advantage though is probably grinding the cams down to an undersize would be cheaper than getting them chromed, if the cam lobes themselves were still in workable shape.

I might go mic out a good set that I have and see what I can find for bushings/bearings as well. A line bore on that head probably wouldn't be too expensive and could probably turn some unusable heads back into service, perhaps even a better piece with an interchangable cam bearing surface in place.

Daytonadrew101 said:
Im finally doing my total t3 rebuild, been doing some research and using ideas from when i was a mustang guy. i am getting the new cams in a few days from lone wolf throught fwd, and i was looking at the cam journals and on the head and remembered that once i had built a 5.0 with rollor or anti friction bearings, proved to work really well too. I told Cindy at fwd thought it was a good idea i just have to line bore the head and find the correct bearings. Well apperantly someone has done this and i was just trying to quickly find out the bearings to use and if it worked well. If any one could help thanks, and any other tips on my rebuild on the car includding weight reduction could help alot, but im in no rush stuck on the USS Enterprise for most my time in Newport News any way, thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts