Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Camshaft that came with my upgraded engine that seems to have smaller journals than I would expect. I looked up the spec in my 1987 Manual it states
From the 1987 Service Manual, 34.939 to 34.960 <-- .021
I measured the journals on my camshaft, they are
Journal #1, 34.861
Journal #2, 34.836
Journal #3, 34.899
Journal #4, 34.836
Journal #5, 34.861

Maybe this is normal?

Best Regards, PYCSXVNT12

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I think you better re-check your camshaft. Either that or it is worn, or has been polished excessively. Your around 1.372" on avg.
Here are some real world measurements for you.
Std. used camshaft journal 1.376" Std. used cylinder head camshaft bore 1.379" Clearance around .003

If something doesn't sound correct in FSM or FWD book, it probably isn't. The FWD book is littered with errors. In fact IIRC, there is an error on the size of camshaft journals when converting to inches in the FWD book. If I remember correctly they listed std. and oversize journals as being the same size (although mm is different).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, I will recheck my numbers and I'll plastigauge the journals to see where I'm at. The camshaft I have is a "rebuild" that came with the rebuilt head. I'm thinking its all junk so I ordered a camshaft from Cindy, but if the Cam Caps are too large I may be in trouble.

On a related note, I noticed the cam seals come in two sizes?
Type: Camshaft Front & Rear Seal Set; 52.45mm OD rear seal w/yellow marking
Rear; Camshaft Rear Seal Set; 53.59mm OD rear seal w/white marking

Which heads use which?
Best Regards

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Rear cam seals are used in 85 and earlier heads. It is a slightly larger OD than the front side. In 86 (late 85 actually), they went to the cam plug style. They used a rear cam seal on the 85 and earlier stuff because some models used an air pump that was driven off the rear of camshaft. You can use the rear cam seal on any head through end of production should you wish to do so. Most use the rear cam plug instead.
The very early heads (long before turbo stuff ) I believe used the same sized cam seals. They changed this later on so people wouldn't install rear cam plugs (and vice versa) in the wrong end of head.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts