Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up what looks to be an 89 casting of a 782 head with a roller cam. Cam has what I've measured with verniers 450 intake, 445 exhaust lift. 400 base circle. (doesn't seem to match any stock cams with max 430 lift.)

Asked on the SDAC Facebook page about using square cam aproket on this cam/head and consensus was heads are the same (possibly minus the squirters for slider cam, have not checked caps yet.)

Linked me to donavans dodge garage which doesn't mention any difference in cam timing between the two sprockets, just states yes you can use a roller cam in an earlier head.

Turbo dodge parts faqs looks like stole the info from DDG. As it's the same.

What say you guys.?

Old posts on TM do state there is a 4 deg retard by putting a square on a round and vice versa. But can't find anything concrete.

Should I just throw this head in with my square sproket and cross my fingers? If it's no good advance the cam 1 tooth at a time? Or just buy an adjustable cam gear to start?
View attachment 284084 View attachment 284085

· Registered
3,393 Posts
I've had great success running round tooth cams on square tooth sprockets.

As you mentioned, the consensus is that this retards the cam about 4 deg.

Most T-Ds have plenty of low rpm torque and retarding improves top end.

A heavy automatic car might not be as happy of the line as a light 5 speed.

Thanks
Randy

· Registered
2,839 Posts
Describe how you're measuring cam with verniers. Base circle should be 1.400" not .400".
Max intake/exhaust lobe minus base circle should put you somewhere around .245" multiply by 1.75 or 1.77 (follower ratio) should come in around .433" lift. Is that what you are doing?

BTW Some of our cam grinders offered various larger camshafts without re-grinding old cores. They used new cores which would retain the 1.400" base circle.

Put a square tooth cam sprocket 974 and a 557 round tooth sprocket on top of each other and align keyways. Draw your own conclusions if you think one is advanced/retarded 4°. The slider and roller camshafts most definitely come with different centerlines and LSA's, but are the sprockets different?

The NA 2.5 CB 690 round tooth pulley, the 535 round tooth Tall Deck pulley, and square tooth pulleys # 992 & 238 you will find altered cam timing. Both retard and advance depending on which one your talking about.

Clear as mud now right (lol).
Todd

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Describe how you're measuring cam with verniers. Base circle should be 1.400" not .400".
Max intake/exhaust lobe minus base circle should put you somewhere around .245" multiply by 1.75 or 1.77 (follower ratio) should come in around .433" lift. Is that what you are doing?

BTW Some of our cam grinders offered various larger camshafts without re-grinding old cores. They used new cores which would retain the 1.400" base circle.

Put a square tooth cam sprocket 974 and a 557 round tooth sprocket on top of each other and align keyways. Draw your own conclusions if you think one is advanced/retarded 4°. The slider and roller camshafts most definitely come with different centerlines and LSA's, but are the sprockets different?

The NA 2.5 CB 690 round tooth pulley, the 535 round tooth Tall Deck pulley, and square tooth pulleys # 992 & 238 you will find altered cam timing. Both retard and advance depending on which one your talking about.

Clear as mud now right (lol).
Todd
Sorry Todd yes it was 1.4 and 1.650 1.645 I didn't take into account the rocker ratio. So that would make it a stock cam.

Unfortunately I only have a square tooth cam.

So consensus is it's the cams centerline that differ not the Cam sproket it would seem.

This will be in a manual trans daytona for a teen to drive.

· Registered
2,839 Posts
Sorry Todd yes it was 1.4 and 1.650 1.645 I didn't take into account the rocker ratio. So that would make it a stock cam.

Unfortunately I only have a square tooth cam.

So consensus is it's the cams centerline that differ not the Cam sproket it would seem.

This will be in a manual trans daytona for a teen to drive.
No need to apologize. Just trying to make sure that we are on the same page. Yeah whatever you do don't intentionally advance or retard the camshaft by a full tooth. That would be WAY too much advance or retard. I'd just install it like the FSM says. The new adjustable cam sprockets seem to be hard to get at the moment. Fidanza may have decided not to produce any more based on sales movement. It will run fine installed per FSM.

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No need to apologize. Just trying to make sure that we are on the same page. Yeah whatever you do don't intentionally advance or retard the camshaft by a full tooth. That would be WAY too much advance or retard. I'd just install it like the FSM says. The new adjustable cam sprockets seem to be hard to get at the moment. Fidanza may have decided not to produce any more based on sales movement. It will run fine installed per FSM.
Right on.

Actually just scored one in Red for $55 US plus shipping. Came to $105 cdn. Close out sale on eBay!

Guy has one more for same price in blue. Fidanza Cam Gear 994229 Fits All 84-88 Chrysler 2.2L (Square Tooth) | eBay

· Registered
2,839 Posts
Wow great deal! Before you install it, line it up with your stock one. Set yours to zero and compare. Some were like 4° off! I think that was probably a earlier batch though.
I have found it is easier to line up the stock pulley (in car), than to line up the Fidanza pulley because of those two big ass holes. Once the stock pulley is lined up, slip it off and install the Fidanza pulley.
Todd

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow great deal! Before you install it, line it up with your stock one. Set yours to zero and compare. Some were like 4° off! I think that was probably a earlier batch though.
I have found it is easier to line up the stock pulley (in car), than to line up the Fidanza pulley because of those two big ass holes. Once the stock pulley is lined up, slip it off and install the Fidanza pulley.
Todd
Thanks for the advice!

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well must have been to good to be true. Business cancelled my order for the red cam gear, so ordered the blue one which showed 4 in stock. Cancelled that one too with no explanation.

SPEEDPARTS4LESS is the eBay seller.

So back to running the stock cam gear unless I run the slider cam. Need to check the journal caps for the squirters.

· Registered
2,839 Posts
I guess "in stock" to me means in "their" warehouse. In stock to other small businesses means they have a listing for it in one of "their suppliers warehouses", and they take inventory maybe once a year, but they have a perpetual inventory that says they should have some (lol). The other thing that happens frequently is they advertise a low price to lure you in, then do the bait and switch thing. I had a guy just try to explain this to me. Oh, that was last years price. If you go do a Google search you will see they list the MSRP price much higher. I tell them I don't pay MSRP prices on car parts. I then say, oh everyone else can update their listing price on items they sell, but you can't seem to find the time to update yours? Then the guy proceeds to tell me he is doing me a favor for selling it to me for a mere 23% higher price point from last year!
I'm at the point now that I say prove to me that you have the part to sell, then I will prove to you I have the funds to purchase it (lol).

· Registered
3,393 Posts
I have a Mopar Performance multi key way square tooth cam sprocket.

From memory there are 5 different key way slots in the gear.

$30.00 US plus shipping if anyone is interested.

Thanks
Randy

PS: I found a picture and it has 5 positions.
Automotive tire Crankset Bicycle part Rim Wheel

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pulley in the ebay link was a round tooth pulley but add states square tooth
pic from posting
so..??
valley between teeth is round .. not flat..thus "round tooth..meaning the belt has round teeth
Ya they didn't have squat. None of the stuff listed in their store is right. All listing and no product. I lost $20 on the exchange rate refunds and they were pricks about it and wouldn't offer the extra $20 for the inconvenience.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts