Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Can all injectors be removed from 2 piece intake

9K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  GLHS0325 
#1 ·
Can all 4 injectors be removed from 2 piece intake without splitting the two piece manifold open? The bolts that hold the two piece together are not all easy to get to of course.It looks possible maybe to remove the fuel rail and all 4 injectors at once. Is it possible?

#3 ·
oh , ya - it is possiable - but - it's one pain in the backside

there is JUST enough room to force the rail and injectors past the top part

you'll need to remove anything screwed into the front of the plenium first

I found it just slightly easier if you remove the clips holding the injectors to the rail - then pull the rail while the injectors are still seated in the holes in the intake

it's kinda an extreame finger puzzle

#5 ·
I prefer to remove the rail first - if left assembled with the injectors you end up draging and grinding the injector tips on the manifold as you try to pull everything out

if the rail is 4 inches tip of inj to back of rail - then the gap must be like 3 5/8 inches

not exact , just tryin to create some kind of example

leaveing the injector tip in the intake and pulling just the rail gives you that little extra space

#8 ·
just did this:

1. remove PCV line, PCV, tee
2. remove FPR {1/4" ratchet, 8mm socket) (careful gas sprays in yur face) yu can leave vac & fuel lines connected; hold/bungee back out of way.
3. disconnect injector harness main plug; hold back out of way
4. remove 4 fuel rail bolts (13mm head, 6" extension)
5. remove injector electrical connectors (small flat screwdriver) and clips (needle nose plyers)
6. holding injectors in their intake mani bores, wiggle fuel rail off injectors one at a time from L to R
7. holding fuel rail back as far as it will go, carefully remove injectors one at a time
8. you can remove rail now if desired

(I did, then hooked injectors back into rail and tested them by turning engine over watching 4 injectors spray into the air;
then I removed injectors from rail, slid rail back in, and reassembled in reverse order...)

make sure you have "High Pressure Fuel Injection" fuel line supplying the rail (and return line if applicable) ;
not Vaccum Line or 'Low Pressure' ;
leak = gas on Turbo = fire

#9 ·
Next time your working on the 2 piece you can put a 1/2 moon dish at the top of the inj bores (miles away from wherte it seats in the mani) and you'll be able to pull the rail with inj's no problem. Do this on almost all the 2 pieces we've modded.

#12 ·
^^yeah need to make that a FAQ thread by itself lol.

I would take them off one at a time and push them farther into the intake, roll out the rail and lift the injectors one at a time. A little porting though it sounds is better.

Reactions: GLHS0325
#19 ·
That's the idea, but the 1/2 moon actually goes the other way dishing across that area paralel to the mtr if you get what I mean. Damn, was working on a Daytona that we did this to yesterday and was looking right at the mod, could have snapped a shot.

I'll see what I can come up with.

#20 ·
BTW, this works with the little plastic cap injectors. I can see that, but what about the ones with the long steel tips? I would have to say no on them. If you tried you'd drop the metal end in the cylinder lol. But they are more rare though

#21 ·
It was even easier than I thought. In my case, injectors with plastic tips, I was able to remove the rail and all 4 injectors together without cramming the tips against the manifold. I played with it for a few minutes and was able to remove it by figuring the best way to turn it, slide it over an inch or two,and then turn it again and lift it out. The only thing in the way were the wire connectors which I just learned to slip behind the fuel rail before trying to remove it. All I had to take off was the fitting on the front of the manifold for the PCV. Of course I had to get the vacuum lines out of the way and unplug the electrical connector. Even did it with the valve cover on. The trick was figuring out the position to get it in to be able to slide it to the passenger side an inch or two, tilt it up, give a little twist to clear the VC,and out she came. Installation was just as easy and much easier to confirm the injectors were well seated and the clips in the best place. Yippie.

#24 ·
ya when all the bolts are out it should seperate

is it still in the car ? - if so getting all the bolts out is an achievement

if still in car are you 100% sure you got all the bolts

is the support strut by the throttle body off ?

mine was stuck together pretty good when I took it apart on the garage floor a couple of months ago

if all the bolts are out it should come apart - you may have to give it a few bumps to break the gasket apart

#29 ·
I just did this exact operation on my '86 GLHS. I wanted to replace the stock injectors with +20% ones, and install an adjustable regulator at the same time. I began by removing all the vacuum lines and electrical harness from the 'valley' between the valve cover and the intake, and also removed the pressure regulator.

After that, it was easy to unseat the injectors, then rotate the entire rail and move it to the left. I had to rotate the rail again once or twice to clear the vacuum barb, but this was no big deal and everything came right out.

As you can see, I did not remove either vacuum barb and the valve cover remained in place. HTH

#30 ·
Great advice and pics from everybody.
I'm going to be doing similar work soon (when the weather cools down for good),
so all of this helps enormously.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.