Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY car is an 85 shelby charger.

Mods:
2.5L turbo engine out of a lebaron
glhs IC/radiator combo
2.5" exhaust
K&N air filter
15PSI
Tires: BFG Traction T/A KDW's or something like that.

Just wondering if you guys think I will run into the mid 14's or maybe better?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has a stage 3 glhs cal from cindy but it runs a little rich. How could I tune it a little better? Wideband and afpr? Also you think it could take V8 mustang and honda civics? Everyone at my school talks shit about the new honda daddy just bought them.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If your charger can't take the stock to mild mustangs and Hondas you have a problem. I drive a 87 GLHS with a mopar performance stage 2 computer 15psi. and everything else is bone stock down to the 1 7/8" tail pipe. And from a 10 mph roll I have beat or kept up with just about everything from a modded 6.6 liter trans am to a 2003 porsche carrera.
You should have no worries.

·
Registered
709 Posts
It has a stage 3 glhs cal from cindy but it runs a little rich. How could I tune it a little better? Wideband and afpr? Also you think it could take V8 mustang and honda civics? Everyone at my school talks shit about the new honda daddy just bought them.
If the tune is fat, get an AFPR and a wideband (a clip-on LM-1 style works like a champ). I used a fuel pressure gauge on the rail before I removed the stock FPR to find out what the stock full pressure is (remove the vacuum line on the stock fuel pressure regulator and take an atmospheric referenced reading). That way, you’ll have a good starting point when you install the AFPR.

After you install the AFPR, just adjust the fuel pressure until you get a decent open-loop wide open throttle AFR (11-11.5:1 or so). Going leaner than 11.5 will gain very little power and increases the possibility of detonation.

When you tune the fuel pressure, make sure to watch AFRs all the way to redline under load (a nice 3rd or 4th gear pull works best). The Stage 2 TIII cal I bought from Cindy was a bit fat in the middle but leaned out a little up top. On the dyno, when I tried to adjust the fuel pressure for better midrange AFRs, the top went lean (12-12.5:1 from 5500-7000RPM). I just settled for 10-10.5:1 AFRs in the midrange for 11.5:1 up top. Maybe your cal won’t have this issue.

Also, you won’t need to adjust the fuel pressure much from stock to get it dialed in under load. I changed mine a whopping 2psi for almost a full point change in air fuel ratio.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I don't actually own a charger, but my friend has an 86 with a stock t1 bottom end and stock head with porting he did himself and stock exhaust and intake mani (blow through setup with a one piece) the only true upgrade he did was a 57 trim and he is in the mid 12's at 116 on 13 psi, just food for thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts