Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well while Ive got the engine apart I was wondering if I could twin turbo this 2.2 L ? If so what would I need? (besides another turbo), i noticed the stage 1 stock garret turbos are small so just seeing if any one has done this yet.

Were is a good place to get replacement Vac lines????:confused:

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
i would grab a setup off a 91-96 FD3S RX-7 as they have sequential turbo setup, and they are quite efficient

·
Registered
991 Posts
Very appropriate tag turbo tona :p so why do you want to go twin turbo? Yes it seems awesome but is their any need on an engine soo small?

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Very appropriate tag turbo tona :p so why do you want to go twin turbo? Yes it seems awesome but is their any need on an engine soo small?
For the same reason all other manufacturers put twin turbos on a small engine, the rotary engine in a rx7 is just 1.3L

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
twin turbos on a 1.3 because they make zero torque. These engines don't suffer from that.
I don't where you came up with this answer as the 1.3 rotary engine puts out over 250 pounds of torque

·
Legendary Driver
10,948 Posts
at what boost level and rpm. a mostly stock intercooled 2.5 will put out 300ftlbs at 15psi at 3grand.

Take the turbo off and it'll put out 150ft-lbs+ a 1.3 rotor won't put out sh1t for torque n/a. and that was my point.

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 89 Spirit ES, 96 Jeep XJ
5,937 Posts
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but twin turbos have been discussed and tried on these motors forever and a day. It's just not worth the headache. You'll be 100% happier if you just properly upgrade to a larger turbo and make the engine flow in and out better to spool it. If you're determined to try it, more power to you. I love seeing new things people come up with on these cars. But if you're only considering it and just want to go faster, this isn't the path for you.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
at what boost level and rpm. a mostly stock intercooled 2.5 will put out 300ftlbs at 15psi at 3grand.

Take the turbo off and it'll put out 150ft-lbs+ a 1.3 rotor won't put out sh1t for torque n/a. and that was my point.
Stock HP levels on a base fd3s is 250 and the type RZ had 270 and all third Gen fd3s were turbocharged and its normal for a rotary engine to put out more torque than a piston engine

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
oh i get it

but do understand this as the RX-7's are my favorite sports car as it was truly a porsche 911 competitor

·
Registered
348 Posts
i had plans on twin turbos for my iroc rt til i moved..it was a stock garrett backed up to a hx35. the only problem real is the room it takes. a sequential turbo set-up is rather easy to do as long as you've done your homework.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I got my answer Ill stick too the stock turbo and for now until the machine shop gets done with my motor. Then I will see what my options are, the good thing about New Mexico is there is no humidity hardly and there are a lot of parts around still for these kinda cars . Thank you all for your input.:thumb:

·
Mr. Moderator
8,905 Posts
hi, do you have the 5sp? is that tranny enough tough to support another turbo?
Honestly a twin turbo set up doesn't make anymore power then one big turbo in most instances. So yes unless you are looking for unreal amounts of power and the trans is an a555 or a523/a568 there shouldnt be any reason the trans couldn't hold the power. We arent talkin bout honda's here =p

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
Were is a good place to get replacement Vac lines[/QUOTE said:
Your local auto parts house or off of Ebay. You will need some 7/32" for your vapor canister. And the rest of it is 5/32". You can pic up and assortment of vacuum fittings for your local parts store as well.

Since you are going to gut your vacuum lines consider installing a vacuum block or drilling and tapping the intake manifold for your vacuum source as I did. I'm going to post a pic on the way I did mine, and here is a very detailed how to thread;

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f14/363281-installing-vacuum-blocks-84-93-turbo.html

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
Amusing thread lol, this is right up there with electric superchargers on Ebay folks.

You run a twin turbo for 2 reasons, compounds are one big reason. You shouldn't run compounds on a gas engine, they go on diesel engines. Why? because compound turbos run 130 PSI of boost, way more than ever needed on a gas engine.

Then comes parrel twin turbos. Reason for this is room, plumbing and balancing exhaust. Main and only reason for this is to have have a turbo on each side of a V engine. V8, V6, V10 etc. Helps deal with exhaust routing.

Twin turbo vs single turbo. A single turbo will have better exhaust flow with a inline engine. The reason is if one turbo isn't flowing well, or the WG cans are un balanced etc the one turbo is working hard and the other is working softly. This pushes up drive pressure that hurts power.

Power curve, total power etc difference is the same. You can buy 2 turbos with the same flow as one single turbo. Same spool up and power band. If you are sizing them differently and the twins are bigger than the single than yeah, more top end. If you use two mitsu turbos and compare them to one Holset the Holset is going to have more top end. Apples to apples there is no difference.

Tryingbe, those are un balanced graphs. A TD that clearly has something wrong with it, near stock 2.5 auto trans it looks like. Vs a big turbo rotary, which they make no power without lots of boost. In truth? Today you can just about make more power with a 8v 2.2 than with the rotary. People under stand they need a plenum intake and a cam today and they are making more and more power. The rotary hits a brick wall as they flow like a 2 stroke, a little, they can't have the boost pressures like a piston engine. Great little design though for high RPM and low boost.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
I designed and partially built a complete twin turbo set-up back in 96-97 for what was going to be a 9 second twin turbo Shelby Charger.

The finishing pieces were taking too long so I bought the current S/C to get into the 10's and give me more time to work out the twin. After what the single turbo Charger has done, remained streetable And showing 9 sec capability with the 5 spd, I have come to the conclusion that the twin turbo will never see the light of day :(

This was a hard conclusion to swallow, as the twin was always at the heart of everything I've done. It just doesn't make any sense to do now, as the whole reason back then was because good efficient 600-700WHP turbos just didn't exist (or at least were not common and were twice the price of what they are now)

Interestingly enough, looking back at the twin design I had removed every restriction down to the head. (I know that now by what's been proven with the single turbo Charger) So I can see how well it would have worked and I can also see where I got the Map for doing what I've done with the single turbo set-up I have now.

There will always be a piece of me that wonders how different things would have been IF I would have dropped what I was doing back in 96-97 and gone full bore on finishing the twin turbo set-up. It very well could have been the fastest turbo Dodge on the planet back then, but I'm pretty sure it would have left me completly broke...............

1 - 20 of 28 Posts