Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think they may work because they swing out like 5in., or so then lift up. My old boss said they wont because a convertable needs that pin between the door and body for frame support on a uniframe car. I beleive he thought i was talking about a lambo door kit which go straight up whereas; scissor-lift is a restricted hinge and then a pivot... :D

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Scissor lift doors do not belong on ANY car! Unless of course your trying out for the next fast and furious movie. Spend the money on something that will help the car, not help the car get laughed at.
Just my .02

·
Registered
238 Posts
well unless you hit other cars when you open your door then go ahead cause i hate to come out to the parking lot and see another dent because someone was in a hurry or just dosnt care.....

but yea technicly it can be done...... however the question is do you want to???

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Hey do it if you want to. I am glad you are concerned about the safety aspect of it.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Scissor lift doors do not belong on ANY car! Unless of course your trying out for the next fast and furious movie. Spend the money on something that will help the car, not help the car get laughed at.
Just my .02
+1.

UNLESS the car is Italian, and has a prancing bull on the emblem. otherwise you might as well preorder the underbody neons and chrome fender flares.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Since when did the Italians have sole use of scissor lift doors?

Lots of cars have used them in the past. You cant even put Lamborghini doors on most cars, true Lamborghini doors open straight up.

I think they look great, its just if I wanted to do it, I would have to buy the best hinges, since cheaps ones sway in the wind and close really shitty. Good hinges, like LSD or Autolocs are like $1200 bucks!!!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I meant a lamborghini. I am aware theres more than 1 italian car. are there more than 1 with a bull as the emblem?

Name another car that has used them in the past other than Lamborghini and Bugatti. Vector? I'll cite 2 more from the link below, Spyker and Alfa Romeo.

The DMC-12 and Mercedes 300SL had GULL WING DOORS.

Look here, and tell me of the cars in the "Scissor Door" section which ones were you thinking of.
List of cars with unusual door designs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Make sure you know the difference in the designs before you go posting how much you know about them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since when did the Italians have sole use of scissor lift doors?

Lots of cars have used them in the past. You cant even put Lamborghini doors on most cars, true Lamborghini doors open straight up.

I think they look great, its just if I wanted to do it, I would have to buy the best hinges, since cheaps ones sway in the wind and close really shitty. Good hinges, like LSD or Autolocs are like $1200 bucks!!!
That's what im saying everyone can talk their shit, Besides who all has them, huh ? No one i know, how many people would even think of buying some p.o.s. old ass car and sink as much cash and time as i have on this thing and now it is a real nice car, low miles under 50,000, damn near 20 years old and, Oh yea no one even has these cars anymore... One word sums it up UNIQUE....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I meant a lamborghini. I am aware theres more than 1 italian car. are there more than 1 with a bull as the emblem?

Name another car that has used them in the past other than Lamborghini and Bugatti. Vector? I'll cite 2 more from the link below, Spyker and Alfa Romeo.

The DMC-12 and Mercedes 300SL had GULL WING DOORS.

Look here, and tell me of the cars in the "Scissor Door" section which ones were you thinking of.
List of cars with unusual door designs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Make sure you know the difference in the designs before you go posting how much you know about them.
Could'nt find them on your list

Their scissor lift swing out about 5in. then up and kinda pivot. They came off my audi TT after i totaled it the impound lot let me take some shit off it before the insurance co. came and got it... this was one if the things i took i compared it with a set of dodge shadow door hinges and oh my god what do ya know the holes line up...

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Im sorry but sicssor lift doors are not unique. Have you been to a rice car show? Look up some pics on google if not. If you like them, awesome. Its your car, and who cares what other people think. But, I tend to agree with nemesismachine if its not a lambo, they dont belong. But, its not our car.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Don't see why it couldn't be done... It's no different than doing it for a hardtop. You bolt or weld the hinge to the door frame, not the roof... so i can't see why it would matter? From what I've heard LSD and Vertical Doors make good hinges. If you do it, please at least do it correctly and get good quality ones as mentioned and not some cheap, unsafe eBay chinese knock offs.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Vertical Doors seems to have the nicest hands down, you can even get them with fully remote option, so you can pop the door, open it, then close it fully by remote! Its pretty cool.

Toyota Sera.

There were quite a few cars in the 80's with similar designs, most Japanese.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
the lamborghini was designed to operate that way. the doors are engineered lighter, and thinner (heightwise) to be opened that way. A civic car door was not. Or an eclipse. Keep that on a lamborghini.

But again, to each his own. Just be prepared to be laughed at when you get out of your car.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well, I agree that they are pretty lame in my opinion. However, outside of TDer's i'm willing to bet people are already laughing at our cars.. to each their own. do what you want to your own car, and disregard others that don't matter. That's how I feel about it. There will always be haters, why try to appease everyone?

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
See, but there is a slight difference. Anyone that laughs at my car, gets to race it. That shuts them up every time. There is no way ricer doors on a TD are going to help it do anything, but get MORE laughed at. But, like I said before, to each his own. We are all a little crazy according to the rest of the world for liking TDs. I just cant stand rice crap, and thats exactally what those are.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
meh, no battle. Just a level headed discussion. We can agree to disagree. :thumb:

·
Registered
348 Posts
I will break my vow, and post here to agree to disagree. :D don't get me wrong... you'll NEVER see lambos anywhere near my car, just feel people can do what they want to their own car. oh... unless it's DONKing it.... then no... you totally deserve to be laughed at, i mean c'mon? how can anyone think that looks good?? :bash:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts