Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a check engine light recently (discussed in another thread) for a minor evap leak, and the guy replaced the cannister purge valve. I needed a state inspection, so I left it at the place, and they said they'd drive it around to get the monitors ready, and then do the state inspection.

However, when the guy took it out, he said something seemed off, so he turned around and went back to the shop. The car died before he made it back and now won't turn over (tries to start).

Talked to the mechanic today and he said there's a short somewhere. When the fuse for the blower is in place, the blower is on full blast, even though the switch for the blower is off. He's trying to find the problem.

I asked him if replacing the cannister purge valve could have caused this, and he said no; that it's in an entirely different system. However, it seems a bit of a coincidence that right after they worked on it, this problem happened.

Am interested in any feedback. Does it seem that his changing the cannister purge valve could have caused the current electrical problem, whatever it may be? Or could this be just a really big coincidence?

Thanks!

2003 Dodge Caravan SE
105K miles

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I had a check engine light recently (discussed in another thread) for a minor evap leak, and the guy replaced the cannister purge valve. I needed a state inspection, so I left it at the place, and they said they'd drive it around to get the monitors ready, and then do the state inspection.

However, when the guy took it out, he said something seemed off, so he turned around and went back to the shop. The car died before he made it back and now won't turn over (tries to start).

Talked to the mechanic today and he said there's a short somewhere. When the fuse for the blower is in place, the blower is on full blast, even though the switch for the blower is off. He's trying to find the problem.

I asked him if replacing the cannister purge valve could have caused this, and he said no; that it's in an entirely different system. However, it seems a bit of a coincidence that right after they worked on it, this problem happened.

Am interested in any feedback. Does it seem that his changing the cannister purge valve could have caused the current electrical problem, whatever it may be? Or could this be just a really big coincidence?

Thanks!

2003 Dodge Caravan SE
105K miles
That generation Chrysler always had electric problems. Try cleaning the grounds.

·
Administrator
26,348 Posts
Any progress on this?
90% of the time that a problem occurs where a circuit is electrically activated even though the circuit is off it is related to "stray voltage", either you have lost a ground circuit or you have another blown fuse somewhere and that current found an alternate path to ground through the blower motor circuit.
With the key on check ALL fuses for power in and out.

I learned about this the hard way.
In my early days at Jeep we had a vehicle that the interior lights would not turn off either by the dimmer or when the doors were closed. After spending time checking all door latches/door jamb switches/headlamp switch with no answer found I asked a more experienced tech and he came over and immediately started checking fuses.
He found the fuse for the interior lamps was blown, the current found another path to ground around the blown fuse and back through the interior light circuit.
Once the fuse was replaced the interior lamps were back to normal.

Check All Of The Fuses.
Material property Font Parallel Pattern
Schematic Rectangle Font Parallel Slope

·
Administrator
26,348 Posts
Blown Fuse/Broken Wire, both do the same thing, create an open circuit and that leaves current looking for another path to ground, Stray Voltage.

Glad he found and fixed the problem and you are back up and running.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts