Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has been doing this for quite a while and makes me nervous driving it above 65mph. It has new power steering pump, poly bushings, strut bearings, new ball joints, and had an alignment after these were put in. It seems to wander left to right while the steering wheel stays pretty steady. I was thinking that the struts may be shot. Would a different power steering unit produce results like these. It was from a 2.5 T1 car (model unknown) going into L-body with fast ratio steering. There is no noise or clunking when driving or turning. Also when I hit the brakes, the cars front end seems to dive right while the rear end feels like its going left, like its pivoting in the middle. Also does this "pivoting" when steering on the freeway. Anybody please chime in and see what I need to do. I have a pair of little used KYB"s I will throw in to see if helps out.

Mark

·
Registered
361 Posts
Mark
I have seen all kinds of things over the years and things I will ask you to check will start
with:
1. the front wheel bearings.. jack the car up and see if there are any play at the wheel, it it whiggles then you found your problem.
2. Once more grab your wheels and go side to side to check your tie rod ends.. Yes that would be your steering rack.. after replacing a inner tie rod and they cost almost $56 bucks and a new rack cost $100..well you figure that one out.. cheaper to replace the whole unit and your car will be so much tighter..
3. Can you bounce your front end? if it takes two or more bounces your struts are fracked (Battlestar Galatica rocks!) and you should replace them.
4. check the air pressure in your tires..heheh

Can I say what my opinion of the problem is, yes but check and verify with what I said
and you should find your problem in one of those areas.

Bearcat

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yup

Johnny said:
ALSO check to see if the rack bolts ar tight. the ones that hold it to the k-frame.

Johnny
I vote with Jonnny.

I've felt a clutch-type limited slip diff with toasted plates do stuff like that too, but you didn't mention one...

bc

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Any other suggestions?? My daytona sporadically does this. I've checked the K-frame bolts. All Tight. I'll be better able to check it out next month when the rebuilt engine goes in, but for now, I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
361 Posts
glhsken said:
Any other suggestions?? My daytona sporadically does this. I've checked the K-frame bolts. All Tight. I'll be better able to check it out next month when the rebuilt engine goes in, but for now, I'm at a loss.
Ken

Mine did this for months before the problem came out, with the miles on the car being over 150,000---(in my case over 240,000) the front wheel bearings were the last things that died.
I replaced the rack.. this resolved alot of problems.. but 4 months later the sway was back but alittle at a time.. then a noise.. checked the front end and found
the driver side wheel was loose.. at 240,000+ I pulled both wheel bearings out and replaced them.. now it drive as straight as can be..

I did this last weekend.. :bang head

maybe your strut bearings are going out..alittle bit of play could cause the front end to wiggle around.

Bearcat

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Thanks Mark... When The engine's out I';ll check all those things.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Also check your rear panhard bar for cracks or to see if it's compromised in any way...rusted through or anything. Mine was cracked at where it bolts to the bottom of the car, which made it flex enough to cause it to feel pivot-y and strange at speed.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. I'll be under the car all next weekend to hopefully figure out what it is. I do know that both struts (koni's rebuilt about 2 years ago) have had fluid come out of them so they may be dead. The steering rack was replaced 4 years ago so bolts may have become loose. It could really be about anything.

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts