Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so i have a 1988 dodge daytona shelby-z 2.2 turbo, and its been stalling a lot. As far as i can tell, it stall completely randomly, and I've had my mechanic looking at it for a while but he hasn't found anything obvious. So, i was wondering if the cat could stall my car, and why it would. Also, does my car NEED a cat? I thought there was a law that said you didn't need one if your car was past a certain age.
Anyway, whatever knowledge you have is appreciated. I've had many people give me ideas as to why the car may be stalling (HEP, distributor, sensors, electrical problems, fuel pump..) but the "cat" idea would be a cheap fix right? I just want something specific i can tell my mechanic to fix.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Sure can. If your cat has suffered a *meltdown*....the catalyst inside can severely clog the exhaust flow out the rear of the cat to the point where the engine will not idle smoothly, if you push on the gas pedal the engine won't respond properly. If your *mech* can put your car up on the hoist, get under the car and give the cat a few raps with a hammer, if the substrate has melted it will probably rattle around in there to some degree and the cat housing may have also a tinny sound to it. Note....cats don't usually meltdown on their own.....something upstream not quite right usually causes the failure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have my mechanic check out the cat then.. Anyone know how much they cost to replace? I know the actual cat is not that expensive, but i dont know what kind of labor goes into putting a new one in... Would an "open" cat or loose one make my car stall? Like, if there was an opening in it? I've seen that if its clogged it can stall the car, but what about if there's a gash in it or something?

·
Registered
971 Posts
A tear, rip, opening in the cat will just make your exhaust louder...Magnaflow cats are found almost everywhere, there are several *universal* ones in the lineup....all you need is a universal 3 way to fill your needs. Try going to their website *magnaflow.com*..more than likely a 94000 series cat will fill the bill..whatever you have installed...have your *mech* mig it into place...not clamp it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone know if changing the timing belt from the engine to the alternator would cause stalling? I remember that the car never stalled before I got the belt installed? I mean, the belt isn't slipping or anything... So i dont really know how to diagnose a bad belt job, and when the car stalls, the lights stay on and stuff...

·
Registered
971 Posts
Are you referring to the camshaft timing belt?..(which usually cannot be seen because it is hidden from view).....or the accessory drive belt which drives the alternator?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It would be the visible one, that connects from the engine to the alternator. At one point, it had become loose and was squeaking, causing my car to loose power. I had that replaced, and was just wondering if that could stall the car (or maybe put strain on it?) if it was installed incorrectly. Anyway, im guessing that im referring to the accessory drive belt. I've been reading a ton about stalling car problems, and just trying to figure out the best thing to tell my mechanic. If i just tell him to fix it, it may end up costing me 5 grand, where as if i tell him what to fix.... it may only be a few hundred.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Well........if *he* is a decent mechanic, he'll troubleshoot the problem and then repair that which is causing your situation, and charge you nothing more. If you go in there and say to him...*fix this* and that is not your problem, then he can charge you the time he's spent doing what you told him to do.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I've had my car at his garage for a while now... And he has not yet been able to make it stall for him. I mean, he's even driven it to his house and stuff, and can't get it to stall. It seems that where I drive the car (and when) leave the perfect combination of circumstances to stall the car. It seems to mostly happen after I drive the car for a little bit, then let it sit for an hour or two... Then, when I go out to try and drive it again, it'll stall out on me. Like i said, it hasn't stalled for my mechanic once, so I can see where it'd be hard for him to trouble shoot the problem. Basically, I have to fix the car myself at this point, or else I'll end up replacing every part in the car, one by one, and the LAST ONE that i replace will be the problem causer! haha! thats how these things work usually... whatev, i'll have him check the cat anyway, thats the simplest idea i've had thus far.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fuel filter was the first thing he replaced when i told him the car was stalling haha! So he had one idea... but that turned out to not be the problem, since the car still stalls. Also, oil and filter just replaced. So far for ideas i have the catalytic converter, HEP, ais motor, throttle body, distibutor, ignition coil, every sensor to speak of, and the entire electrical system... also someone said something about bad grounds.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Honestly.....if the problem is intermittent, I'd be looking for an electrical problem. Don't think your throttle body would be at fault unless the housing is cracked or you have a bad gasket sealing it to the manifold. If the AIS is acting up, your idle will fluctuate, may even set a code if severe enough. But thats just the idle. Ignition coils can be tested with a ohmmeter. If the HEP has failed, you'll more than likely set a code 11.(no distributor reference to SBEC)and the engine won't start..the other harness to the distributor is for the SBEC control of turbo boost.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea, if the problem's electrical, than I see no quick end to this fix... I should have him check all the voltages, ohms, and sensor readings to make sure they are within limits. I mean, its an old car, and it only takes one wire to screw it up, haha!

Its just wierd though, that the car didn't start stalling until one night, when i was driving really fast up a hill, the car stuttered A LOT, (the tranny was shifting A LOT, its an automatic) and then it stalled out. It seems that the car has only stalled after that incident, and i have to assume that the stalling problems im having now, are related to the night that i drove up that damn hill. So Im trying to find an answer to the car stalling problem that would fit the description of something bad happening while trying to accelerate really fast up a hill, and the car's shifting is very fast and hard, which lead to it stalling.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a stalling issue linked to the speed/distance sensor in auto cars? I hate automatics, so I NEVER deal with them. I thought I read something about that, though.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I was driving really fast up a hill, the car stuttered A LOT, (the tranny was shifting A LOT, its an automatic) and then it stalled out. It seems that the car has only stalled after that incident, and i have to assume that the stalling problems im having now, are related to the night that i drove up that damn hill.
Drive really fast back down the hill;)

And instead of buying a new cat just weld in a piece of pipe instead. Less backpressure and cheap. Just make sure its allowed where you live, if not hollow the cat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello just new here, hope to stay long,thanks.

By the way I need help. I was confused if the magnaflow catalytic converter is pretty good?and also where to buy? I do searched and I tried it here for some queries Magnaflow Catalytic Converter. Anyone tried it here.? Any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts