Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first off, I am NOT a mechanic, gear head or even enjoy getting my hands dirty, however, I am mechanically inclined and usually understand fairly quickly as long as the directions are to the point.

My daughter owns an 88 dodge daytona, for the past couple of mornings it has been rather difficult to start but has started, this morning she went out to start it and it was no dice. My husband attempted to start it again for her this morning, pumped the crap out of the gas but no deal. He couldn't smell gas and the battery has tons of juice, the engine is cranking over like it should but the old girl simply won't start.

Where do I start? My first thought is fuel injector cleaner, then a new fuel filter and further down the line, possibly a new fuel pump but understandably, I want to start inexpensive and then if necessary, parts will be purchased.

Any one have any other suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance, the sooner this car is back on the road, the sooner I will once again be the hero mom to my daughter. :p

88DaytonaMomma

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
The husband can pump the gas pedal until his ass bleeds, it's not gonna do ANYTHING in a fuel injected car! There's no carburetor. And he's not gonna smell gas from pumping the pedal either.

It must be something else. Maybe a fuel pump. I don't know, it's lunchtime at work and I'm in a hurry to go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Before you rule out the battery, clean the connections, I've had many cars where the ground looks good but isn't. Turn the key to the on position, and try and listen for the fuel pump. It's probably easier to check spark next. I would pull a spark plug and make sure you're getting a spark. Inspect the plugs, they might be really fouled, could be a sign of other ignition issues such as bad wires/cap/coil/etc.

Then I would go and check your fuel at the injectors next.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Start with the basics. Have you checked for fault codes?

Do you get a buzz from the fuel pump when you first turn on the key?

Do you have a basic digital volt meter? (You may need it later)

Go here (Fault Codes - Mini-Mopar Resources) and follow the instructions on checking for fault codes. Take your time. Write them down and come back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ok, thanks for the advice on keeping the hubby's ass from bleeding, the connections on the battery are great, we checked that this morning.
As far as a buzz from the fuel pump, that I'll have to check when I get home tonight, assuming the fuel pump is attempting to get gas moving, what else would keep it from firing except the plugs or really dirty injectors?

I read earlier posts about the codes, but haven't tried that either, so that will be another mission this evening.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
ok, thanks for the advice on keeping the hubby's ass from bleeding, the connections on the battery are great, we checked that this morning.
As far as a buzz from the fuel pump, that I'll have to check when I get home tonight, assuming the fuel pump is attempting to get gas moving, what else would keep it from firing except the plugs or really dirty injectors?

I read earlier posts about the codes, but haven't tried that either, so that will be another mission this evening.
The Hall Effect Pickup will do exactly that. If you have a code 11 or 54 that's what you will need. It sits right underneath the distributor rotor.

Do the diagnostic first. It will lead you down the right path.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Could just need a tuneup. I had a distributor rotor corrode to the point where it wouldn't run in about a year once. I think it was crappy tire brand or whatever. But I'd make sure you can hear the pump priming first. Pull codes too.

·
Registered
157 Posts
one more easy check is the coolant temp sensor. you mentioned it has gradually been getting harder to start in the morings and it has gradually been getting colder. the sensor may be bad with low resistance, try disconnecting it - it should see open curcuit/infinite resistance and go full rich - if engine starts right up you have have your answer.

All other advice was good too, I'm just putting in my 2 cents

Jeff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts