Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need carb and supercharger advice. Putting a supercharger on a 83 DC Rampage as soon as it's back from the paint shop. Sticking with a stock G head, but I've heard the Webers are more tunable than the old stock Holley 5220 or 5200 so. .....

webercarbsdirect has a ton of different options and I'm not sure which one will fit, link up and work best. Also, am I going to have to cut a whole in the hood for clearance? thx - any advice is appreciated.

Jim

(sorry pics wont seem to load - ill try again later for them)

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Here is the best advice I can give you:

Forget you ever found the webercarbsdirect.com web site...

They are cheap Chinese knock-offs of the real Webers, and will give you nothing but trouble. You need to find a real Weber through a Redline dealer. There are a couple on ebay. Those are real, made in Spain, Webers.

Second, yes, you will have to cut a big hole in that freshly painted hood to get an SC on a 2.2. You have to decide if you are willing to do that or not...

Third, I get the idea to be different, and do the Supercharger. Trust me, I have been a huge proponent for carbed cars for years, but even I realize the simplicity, and ease of "going turbo". This winter, my Scamp will be getting a serious power upgrade in the form of a 2.5 TII motor. It should put about 300 hp to the ground. And I won't have spent anywhere near what a supercharger setup is going for.

Truthfully about the best you're going to do with a supercharger is about 150 hp. Maybe power isn't you true goal, just being unique is. I just wanted to give you a little bit to think about.

Good luck with your project, whatever you decide!!!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Good going 83scamp. I was trying to remember who was selling the knock-offs.

Yes you will have to cut a hole in the hood. About the only vehicle that could use the Supercharger without cutting a hole in the hood was supposedly the Dodge Dakota Pickup. Maybe you can find a hood in the salvage yard. There were two different hoods that year:

5218 361 24,28 PANEL, Hood, Use Up To 4/8/83 (Except Z-S 24)
4297 162 24,28 Use After 4/8/83 (Except Z-S 24)

M = H O R IZON/TURISMO/SCAMP
Z = OMNI/CHARGER/RAMPAGE
24 = 2-DOOR HATCHBACK
28 = FWD PICKUP

Making The Right Choice 32 or 36 "Making The Right Choice 32/36mm Progressive or 38mm Synchronous"

I believe that Mopar recommended the Weber 38 carburetor for Superchargers. The 32/36 is the carburetor that most people buy for a direct replacement. Either would work. The Weber 38 probably isn't needed if the Scamp is just going to be used for going to the grocery store. The stock exhaust manifold and exhaust doesn't have that great of flow. At street RPM the 32/36 would make a good choice. But after contacting Redline and/or Weber they might tell you that the 38 would be better all around.

When they were testing the different carburetor setups on the dyno they were running the engine with the Supercharger at 5000 RPM's.

Redline will be able to tell you the proper kit number to buy for your vehicle. Their website is a bit lacking for some of the 1980's years so it would be best to contact them directly. You would just buy either of the carburetors that are made to fit your stock vehicle. Maybe somebody on here knows if one carburetor is easier to install than the other.

If your stock carb works well there is no reason not to use it. The Supercharger was made to work with it.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, I imagine 150HP is all I'll get. We have a turbo Rampage already. This DC Rampage is screaming for the matching DC Supercharger. I also have old analog DC gauges and a Grant steering wheel from the `83 catalog. I'm sure you're right - the final cost to do this will far exceed a nice intercooler and turbo set up. Alas.....it's a bucket list thing to do a supercharged Rampage. Hopefully I can just modify the hood scoop to provide enough clearance for the Weber. Thx for the real Weber tip - i'll likely go with a 38 synchronous. Will update with pics as I proceed

Attachments

·
Registered
493 Posts
Nice steering wheel. I just paid an obscene amount to buy an excellent condition used red oem steering wheel for my Rampage.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that wheel was an obscene amount too. But I had to have it. Don't tell my wife :p

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Definitely go with a weber 38/38 or a new Holley 500 ultra style, would require an old IMSA adapter. Glad to see you keeping the DC on the DC route! And glad to see some of those old parts getting some great intended use! I'll be keeping an eye on this awesome build!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
As draw through systems have opposite power valve requirements, a stock 1979 Mustang 2.3 Turbo carb could be a good candidate. Whatever you get specify its for draw a through turbo.

Thanks
Randy

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
@Omnivore2 be a contrarian like me and join the DC SC dark side. May the farce be with you!

Turbos are the bee's knees, I know, I know. A long time ago in a galaxy far away, there were no turbos or fuel injectors. Every engine had a carburetor and no computer to tell it what to do. A blower meant your car was a real badass instead of someone handing out nose candy. Fast forward to the mid 80's and Emperor CS designed the next generation of engine performance far better than a hyperdrive or flux capacitor (and more reliable too!). Thus, the dawn of the turbo era.

For me, this is my midlife crisis/nostalgia trip. Couldn't get Tommy Chong's van, so I fell for a supercharged Rampage. You know, they're scarcer than hens teeth and your SC looks brand spanking new! It does no good just sitting in a box. Youve got a lot of great parts to start with. Forget the HP numbers, think of being a road warrior in the coming dystopian future.

Seriously now, if you need the SC installation instructions, they can be found here. It states the Weber 38 is best for the SC. Follow @83scamp's advice, he is a Jedi for our trucks (among others). If you want to see mine, go to the new member intro section and click on the link in my post. It's a diamond in the rough and my lovable eternal project. Just doing my part to keep Austin weird...

"The Dark Side is the pathway to many abilities some consider to be... unnatural." Sen. Palpatine

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 81' Plymouth TC3 I put together in the late 80's with a DC Supercharger. Just got the car out again after 9 years of storage. I just completed a carb modification to a Holley 500. I expect it to run stronger now as it will be utilizing the power valve circuit now. I believe the belt slips on the super charger pulley as it reaches 4-5 pounds of boost so I want to add an idler pulley so the belt wraps more of the pulley on the super charger. I installed a smaller pulley so I should be making 7-8 pounds of boost. Plymouth.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
That's a badass strip machine you've got there! You're right about the pulley, the one that comes with the kit doesn't work very well. It needs an idler just a little bit behind it to get better boost.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts