Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im putting a common block 2.5 in my 86 s/c and i would like some info on the catch can plumbing with a [email protected] cone filter since im ditching the stock air box and dont want to much crank case pressure and need some guidance on how to setup a vaccume block setup for my 86 s/c. i will be running a duel boost setup one with the adjustable wastegate can and vaccume lines hooked up for low boost out of the hole any advice, pictures, help would be appreciated

brandon

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Couple ways to go with the catch can set-up brandon.

First way is to route the valve cover hose to it (hose that normally connects to the PCV)
From the can you route a hose to the turbo inlet pipe just after the cone filter. This will draw on the crankcase when not in boost. Another hose is connected to the intake manifold with a PCV in line. This will draw on the crank case when not in boost.
Con's on this set-up are the potential for oil in the turbo side and into the intake itself. Even if the can has stainless wire in it the oil vapor will condense out when it leaves the can.

Second way is to route the valve cover hose to the can and vent the can to atmosphere with a filter on top. You can also get a new oil cap with a hose connection and route this to the can as well. The idea of the other hose is to increase the vent capacity. On a boosted engine ... more vent is better.

You could look into getting a N/A aluminum valve cover. They have two nipples on the back and a nice full shroud oil curtain beneath. Also takes the one piece gasket.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Couple ways to go with the catch can set-up brandon.

First way is to route the valve cover hose to it (hose that normally connects to the PCV)
From the can you route a hose to the turbo inlet pipe just after the cone filter. This will draw on the crankcase when not in boost. Another hose is connected to the intake manifold with a PCV in line. This will draw on the crank case when not in boost.
Con's on this set-up are the potential for oil in the turbo side and into the intake itself. Even if the can has stainless wire in it the oil vapor will condense out when it leaves the can.

Second way is to route the valve cover hose to the can and vent the can to atmosphere with a filter on top. You can also get a new oil cap with a hose connection and route this to the can as well. The idea of the other hose is to increase the vent capacity. On a boosted engine ... more vent is better.

You could look into getting a N/A aluminum valve cover. They have two nipples on the back and a nice full shroud oil curtain beneath. Also takes the one piece gasket.
which is better in your oppinion from can to intake or from can to atmosphere and i would rather not get rid of the turbo valve cover since mine looks all so nice powdercoated

·
Registered
898 Posts
damn, im building one as we speak. and thats what i was doing, just putting a line into the can from the pcv, then another line from the can to the pcv.

i had an idea of putting a grommet in the top and using one of those valve cover breathers with a hose attacment and plumping that hose into the turbo inlet tube (behind cone filter) would this be better (not have oil residue in turbo inlet)\

OH, and answer ^his question, well, we both have the same one though, which is better?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
damn, im building one as we speak. and thats what i was doing, just putting a line into the can from the pcv, then another line from the can to the pcv.

i had an idea of putting a grommet in the top and using one of those valve cover breathers with a hose attacment and plumping that hose into the turbo inlet tube (behind cone filter) would this be better (not have oil residue in turbo inlet)\

OH, and answer ^his question, well, we both have the same one though, which is better?
how u like the 2.5 in ur l body i cant wait for mine really soon

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
What I think is better is venting to atmosphere. Get the most line diameter ... and since you like your cover just fine get a cap like I mentioned. Vent the catch can with a nice filter and be happy.

The reality of a turbo engine is that after a certain level of boost the stock routing fails because it can't keep up with crankcase pressure. Even a dedicated vacuum pump would be (are)overwhelmed and spew oil. Talking 20-3+ here. We all agree it has to be removed and quickly as possible. Big enough capacity to atmosphere does fine. Trade off is no vacuum applied to the crankcase to "keep rings sealed" but if that's the case (and it is for non boosted driving ... ) then it's one or the other. In boost the other routings just add more restriction for the pressure to overcome. Having run like this for a long while my engines compression is unchanged from rebuilt readings.(shrug) Lot's of guys run like this ... not a big deal to sweat over.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I think is better is venting to atmosphere. Get the most line diameter ... and since you like your cover just fine get a cap like I mentioned. Vent the catch can with a nice filter and be happy.

The reality of a turbo engine is that after a certain level of boost the stock routing fails because it can't keep up with crankcase pressure. Even a dedicated vacuum pump would be (are)overwhelmed and spew oil. Talking 20-3+ here. We all agree it has to be removed and quickly as possible. Big enough capacity to atmosphere does fine. Trade off is no vacuum applied to the crankcase to "keep rings sealed" but if that's the case (and it is for non boosted driving ... ) then it's one or the other. In boost the other routings just add more restriction for the pressure to overcome. Having run like this for a long while my engines compression is unchanged from rebuilt readings.(shrug) Lot's of guys run like this ... not a big deal to sweat over.

so what your saying is that with the cap your talking about and the regular hose going to the pcv should both be routed to the catch can to get rid of the pressure as quickly as possible correct? and i dont remember of the top of my head but will venting it to atmosphere raise the idle in vaccume or do i still have to use a check valve or is the pcv its own seperate system of hoses?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
so what your saying is that with the cap your talking about and the regular hose going to the pcv should both be routed to the catch can to get rid of the pressure as quickly as possible correct? and i dont remember of the top of my head but will venting it to atmosphere raise the idle in vaccume or do i still have to use a check valve or is the pcv its own seperate system of hoses?
PCV is gone in this set-up. Plug the inlet on the intake mani or use it as source for your vacuum block. Won't raise idle vacuum because it's not connected to intake vacuum. Hoses are just routed to the catch can and then to the air.

·
Registered
898 Posts
how u like the 2.5 in ur l body i cant wait for mine really soon
yeah, it isnt bad, just DO NOT buy a MP314 cam, its a pos for my car at least, i get 10hg at idle, sucks. but besides that, its pretty sweet, i think i just have some timing issues that i cant find, everythings straight up, but cant figure out why its a slug---but still fast!:)

also---ok, on the pcv, the hose that normally comes from the valve cover to the airbox, are you saying make a can, route that hose into the can, then put a filter on that can (basically to atmosphere).

and ive also seen people putting a check valve from the intake manifold to the pcv, good idea? (like a bigger check valve, 1/2-5/8 or whatever)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
he is saying eliminate the pcv all to together and just run the hose from the valve cover to the catch can and plug the hole you now have on your intake or use it for a vaccume block like i will.

also i plan on running the new s60 roller cam someday depends what mods i do first but i want everything ported and a big turbo and it should rip

·
Registered
898 Posts
ah, ok, eliminate that hose from the intake to the pcv. sounds good. yeah, thats a good idea to use that as a vacuum block, i got mine on my intake already, but still a good place for one.

what are the cons to eliminating that tube? why not a check valve in there? so it pulls on it while in vacuum? then when it boosts it doesnt do anything?

·
Registered
147 Posts
PCV is gone in this set-up. Plug the inlet on the intake mani or use it as source for your vacuum block. Won't raise idle vacuum because it's not connected to intake vacuum. Hoses are just routed to the catch can and then to the air.
+1:thumb:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Quick Q... So, the less pressure in the crankcase, the better?

EG. If you could drive without the oil fill cap, you'd be golden?

·
Registered
126 Posts

got pics ???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts