Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a charger or turismo with the 1.6 Peugeot. Growing up, we had a 1987 turismo in the ice blue metallic. It was a 4 speed with the bare minimum, and I mean bare minimum. No center console, no a/c. I am searching high and low for one. If anyone knows where to find one of these or knows someone that might still have one, I’m extremely interested! I am in the Pittsburgh area, but will go wherever I have to! Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I think your going to have a tough time locating a base car like that. It was my understanding the Peugeot 1.6 became available in mid year 1983 replacing the VW 1.7 litre. I also thought it was available only between the mid 83 through end of 1986 model year. No auto available and I believe no AC with the 1.6. Rated at a whopping 64 HP & 87 ft./lbs torque! In 1987, the base engine in all L-bodies was the 2.2. That was rated at 96 HP & 119 torque.
Why the affinity for the 1.6 Peugeot powered vehicle?
Maybe someone will have some survivor car at Chrysler's at Carlisle? That might be your best bet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think your going to have a tough time locating a base car like that. It was my understanding the Peugeot 1.6 became available in mid year 1983 replacing the VW 1.7 litre. I also thought it was available only between the mid 83 through end of 1986 model year. No auto available and I believe no AC with the 1.6. Rated at a whopping 64 HP & 87 ft./lbs torque! In 1987, the base engine in all L-bodies was the 2.2. That was rated at 96 HP & 119 torque.
Why the affinity for the 1.6 Peugeot powered vehicle?
Maybe someone will have some survivor car at Chrysler's at Carlisle? That might be your best bet.
Thank you! I believe the car we had was a 1987, but could have definitely been a 1986. I don’t know why, but I am fascinated by the 1.6. From what I remember, it got incredible gas mileage, and was the most reliable car we ever had. I found a 1986 charger close to me, but has the 2.2. I have owned many of the 2.2 carburetor cars, from the horizons to the tc3’s, I even had a tc3 with the 1.7 in it. It had nothing but carb issues and overheated all the time, but was a cool little car. I had 3 Shelby chargers, and 2 glh turbos. 2 of the 3 shelbys were carbureted cars, and one was a turbo. I wish I would have kept all of them, but I’m grown up now and didn’t care back then... I will definitely check out Carlisle this year! Thanks for the reply! It’s nice to know that there are people out there that know about these! Thanks again!!

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,139 Posts
Wow. What terrible timing. One came up for sale about two years ago. Ice blue, but it was a 1.6 automatic. I think it was up on Facebook. Probably lost to time unless somebody on here had it.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I'm positive there were no 1.6 automatics, all were 4 speed grinder's only.

I can relate to the interest in one as I have had a few and they were charming in a basic way.

For some reason the carbs seemed to be perfect compared to the cranky 1.7 and 2.2 carbs.

The last one I has I sold to a member here and he parted it out as he only needed the shell.

The starter drive was skippy and would only engage momentarily but it only took a 1/2 turn to be idling.

Easy Engine to ID if looking at ads online as the carb was up front, not like 1.7/2.2's

I still have a picture of my last one!!

GLWS!!

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Now you're talking!!

The Engine is tiny as its OHV not OHC and ironically the up front carbs seem much better.

1.7 and 2.2 carbs are often "cranky" and harder to access at the rear of the Engine compartment.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've heard of the engine from my old Omni repair book, but never saw one in real life. I did drive the Chrysler Simca 1100 and the Simca 1204. Chrysler Horizon and Simca 1100 The Simca preceded the Horizon, and it was comfortable and thrifty, but it shifted like a broom in a bathtub.
The torsion bar suspension was awesome! The best Simca was never imported, but I liked the Simca-Matra Bagheera! Matra Bagheera - Wikipedia

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes! It was called the Chrysler-Plymouth Horizon. The early cars were sold from 1978 to 1980 with Volkswagen stamped across the valve cover. ( I was amazed that Chrysler never bothered to change the valve cover.)The Chrysler 2.2 4 cylinder was introduced in 1981, thus making the VW powerplant unnecessary.
The 2.2 had gobs of torque, even in nat asp form. I have a torsion bar rear suspension hanging on my garage wall from the Simca 1204. It looks like the mounting points never changed, so technically you could scrap the beam axle and install the independent rear torsion bar suspension in your Horizon or Omn GLHS..

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,139 Posts
I know what a 1978 to 1990 U.S. built Dodge Omni and Plymouth Horizon are. I was referring to the Simca units. I'm in love with them. They were the only FWD cars to tie the design to the older cars with torsion-aire/torsion-quiet ride. I wish I could find one in the States. Talk about a conversation piece!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thank you! I believe the car we had was a 1987, but could have definitely been a 1986. I don’t know why, but I am fascinated by the 1.6. From what I remember, it got incredible gas mileage, and was the most reliable car we ever had. I found a 1986 charger close to me, but has the 2.2. I have owned many of the 2.2 carburetor cars, from the horizons to the tc3’s, I even had a tc3 with the 1.7 in it. It had nothing but carb issues and overheated all the time, but was a cool little car. I had 3 Shelby chargers, and 2 glh turbos. 2 of the 3 shelbys were carbureted cars, and one was a turbo. I wish I would have kept all of them, but I’m grown up now and didn’t care back then... I will definitely check out Carlisle this year! Thanks for the reply! It’s nice to know that there are people out there that know about these! Thanks again!!
Not to hijack the thread, but I'd be interested in the 1986 charger that's close to you if it's a standard. Would you mind passing along the info to me if it's still available ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts